amuck-landowner

And this is why you should ALWAYS backup your VPS!

Raymii

TL;DR: A startup goes el cheapo on a $5 Digital Ocean droplet, hardware node has a RAID 5 dual drive failure, Startup loses VPS but has backups, gets $500 from Digital Ocean and still bitches about it.

We have recently launched Listboard.it on a single instance
in DigitalOcean to start contacting people who had too many
tabs opened on their browser and were interested on a solution.
We received over 240 invitation requests and accepted some to
start experimenting with it. Our active users were few so one
instance was more than enough.

[...]

Our server was dead. Just like that.

Altough, quite nice of Digital Ocean to credit $500. They are not obligated to do so.

http://dfernandez.me/articles/digitalocean_lost_our_data/

Last edited by a moderator:

ComputerTrophy

They're lucky they kept backups. You can just buy a cheap OpenVZ "storage" VPS just to back up your files and it won't burn a hole in your pocket either.

Unlucky for DO to get a dual drive failure. It's unlucky enough to get a drive failure on a node.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
As we use RAID5 this is an often unrecoverable situation.
DigitalOcean markets themselves as a cloud provider and they use RAID5 local storage instead of a SAN? ROTFLMFAO.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
DigitalOcean isn't a true cloud provider.  The only thing "cloud" about DigitalOcean is having hourly billing.

fahad

At least they are not costly and they are a big company which is a safety factor. They can't change domain and company name and reappear. :D

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider
Considering they hand credit out like free candy I doubt that means much.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Considering they hand credit out like free candy I doubt that means much.
Exactly. I literally got started with $10 free credit. I think I matched it at one point by actually deposting $10 from my debit card... then someone in IRC a week ago posted a URL to $60 free credit... so I loaded that up...

So in short, I've spent $10 of 'real' money for roughly $80 worth of service. Not bad.

On topic though, backup. Make copies of those backups too from time to time. Make local backups everynow and then too.

Would rather have too many backups than not enough.

fahad

Exactly. I literally got started with $10 free credit. I think I matched it at one point by actually deposting $10 from my debit card... then someone in IRC a week ago posted a URL to $60 free credit... so I loaded that up...

So in short, I've spent $10 of 'real' money for roughly $80 worth of service. Not bad.

On topic though, backup. Make copies of those backups too from time to time. Make local backups everynow and then too.

Would rather have too many backups than not enough.
What is the code ???

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I read that it only available for those who received the email, it never work for me and i din't receive the email.
It worked for me, and I didn't get the email. I just followed the URL when it was posted in IRC. <shrugs>

gFth86lfObN2JqY.png

amuck-landowner