amuck-landowner

Antivirus

bizzard

I don't use Windows in any of my systems now a days and when someone asks me for a free antivirus, I suggest Immunet. During my widows days, I have tried all sort of free Antivirus available then and most of them have given me nothing other than troubles, deleting system files and exe's which I want to keep, etc

Immunet is small, use less resource and does the basic protection. Anyway, all my friends usually land up formatting windows atleast once in 6 months due to performance issues.

Nyr

I don't use any.

For work I use my MacBook mostly, Windows only for gaming.

Removed Avast when I was forced to use Windows, it was pure crap and I recently discovered they don't care about security at all (reported some vulns, ignored and refused to pay bug bounty).

abyssis

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to go with F-Secure for now and if F-Secure fails I think I will give BitDefender a try.

NetWatcher

Verified Provider
ClamXav on Mac OS X 

That AV found couple of viruses, but all of them were files which I copied from some external device who were plugged to some Windows PC before :) 

So, non of viruses were dangerous for Mac OS X. 

But still, even on Mac OS X you should have some AV... 

And of course, firewall should be enabled :) 

jarland

The ocean is digital
Is ESET really that good?
It really is. An anti virus should sit in the background and not have anything to say until it's relevant. These days anti viruses want to track down everything that they can just to pop up and pat themselves on the back about what a good job they did doing nothing of significance, just to remind you that you'd be lost without...their massive renewal fee.

Nod32 does it's job and then shuts up about it, and doesn't slow down your system.

abyssis

It really is. An anti virus should sit in the background and not have anything to say until it's relevant. These days anti viruses want to track down everything that they can just to pop up and pat themselves on the back about what a good job they did doing nothing of significance, just to remind you that you'd be lost without...their massive renewal fee.

Nod32 does it's job and then shuts up about it, and doesn't slow down your system.
Would you consider Nod32 better over mentioned F-Secure?

Nyr

Would you consider Nod32 better over mentioned F-Secure?
Not sure about resource consumption, but F-Secure is a decent product with a good engine. Also, one of the few not American/Chinese/Russian security firms.

abyssis

Not sure about resource consumption, but F-Secure is a decent product with a good engine. Also, one of the few not American/Chinese/Russian security firms.
What's wrong with Russian security firms? It definitely feels much safer compared to USA.

Nyr

What's wrong with Russian security firms? It definitely feels much safer compared to USA.
Just wanted to clarify it was one of the most independent security firms. Russian security firms (Kaspersky) have very strong ties to the government.

abyssis

Just wanted to clarify it was one of the most independent security firms. Russian security firms (Kaspersky) have very strong ties to the government.
Well just because there is no real artice on the internet it doesn't mean F-Secure is not "working" with government. That's my opinion. I think pretty much every bigger security firm as you call it works with government in certain way. Also it might be even worse in Finland, who knows. So far it works really great as in it doesn't affect performance of my system in any way so I will just continue testing and see how it goes.

ServerBros

Verified Provider
Microsoft security essentials......does the job :)

I tend to do most of my web browsing from a Windows 8 VPS I have setup for company use, and use the same on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner