amuck-landowner

Any providers support nested vm's?

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Just curious if you know of any providers that support nested vm's. I'm keen to try it out just for the fun of it.

Thanks!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You mean like Xen running and then OpenVZ running within that?

There was semi-recent thread over on that other site throwing mud BuyVM's way about dabbling into that in the past.

If providers are nesting, don't think they'll openly admit to such.  

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
If you are interested in trying out it yourself, any KVM/vmware/XEN(HVM) provider will work.

Like @,  said... only provider I've read about that openly said they do it is BuyVM and that is for internal stuff only. 

With the recent thread on LET about BuyVM doing it, I guess we have to take their word on it that they are not still doing it on production servers :p :ph34r:

herbyscrub

You can't really count OpenVZ as virtualization so if you put that in a hypervisor...you'll just end up with the performance of that VM.  If you nest something like HyperV in ESX, then you're really going to take a performance hit.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
If you are interested in trying out it yourself, any KVM/vmware/XEN(HVM) provider will work.

Like @,  said... only provider I've read about that openly said they do it is BuyVM and that is for internal stuff only. 

With the recent thread on LET about BuyVM doing it, I guess we have to take their word on it that they are not still doing it on production servers :p :ph34r:
Our original builds used it on vmware as I mentioned :) When buyvm originally opened we were on a very strict budget since Frantech was fully sold out as was our power. The vmware's ran OK unless ther was spikes. The biggest issue we had was vmtools kept crashing/unloading tanking performance. We actually had to have someone on hand 24/7 monitoring for load spikes/etc that would occur all the time.

We still do OVZ for internal stuff. I don't see a reason to keep big nodes around for compiling kernels/testing kernels when a simple KVM does it all.

Francisco

prometeus

Verified Provider
We still do OVZ for internal stuff. I don't see a reason to keep big nodes around for compiling kernels/testing kernels when a simple KVM does it all.

This is very common indeed. Why on eart you should use a physical server for testing/developing? Common alternative to kvm is vmware when available :)

amuck-landowner