amuck-landowner

Any VPS Database with Data Center info?

CoolMoon

I searched a few websites about VPS listing.  Most of them are just some reviews, benchmarks and offers.  I wonder if there is any VPS list with Data Center information.  

Maybe it's a stupid idea and no one else need this kind of info.  I just want to link each VPS provider to DC so that if I already have one or more VPS in one DC, I might think twice before ordering from another provider in the same DC.  Or maybe I will try to avoid some DC with bad reviews.

I was trying to sort one out but don't want to reinvent the wheel.  So wonder if something similar already out there.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
This actually sounds like a really neat idea.

Maybe include a reverse lookup, and it can relate IP blocks to certain providers. Say if a website is down frequently, a reverse lookup could tell what host to avoid maybe and what datacenters they use.

I've actually wanted a tool similar to this, normally I just use NS lookup and then see who owns the ip blocks manually if I want to find out whats hosted where and by who.

If you need any help, I can manually sift through google and dig up info on providers.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
I see so instead of JUST a database with information about hosts and datacenters, it would be a full blown web application that can ping for up-times, latency from different locations and feed that back to the user with a full report on what datacenters would be suitable to them. 

Seems like LEB, but more or less handled by an entire community through upvotes and continuous testing rather than 1 or 2 people just posting deals..

Sounds like an awesome idea. Could be the thing that vpsBoard could use to set it apart from any other forum on the interwebs.

CoolMoon

I am not a geek but noob in the VPS world.  Initially I was just thinking of a simple spreadsheet style static page on a low end vps, so my job will be limited to data entry.  To involve other test functions sounds great, but would be beyond my knowledge and I guess it will involve multiple VPS, maybe cannot be handled by low end ones

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Im sure the multiple ideas by themselves would be fairly nice, but meshed together could be fairly incredible. But as you, I would be considered a noob, but hey never hurts to learn something new ;)

CoolMoon

I do enjoy the learning process...but I am still learning how to figure out the provider's DC by its test IP :(

It's gonna take a while before I can touch those advanced topics...

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
As a die-hard DIYer, I tend to just ask for a test IP and get location/DC from that. Uptime tracking is good, but reviews will often tell you how that is. Doing your own ping and traceroute will give you a better idea than from other locations.

amuck-landowner