amuck-landowner

Any woodworkers in the house? Building a stand up workstation.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'd like to build a stand up work station for several reasons. Namely because sitting down all day is horrible and slowly contributing to poor health (softening mid-sections...), I've got limited space in a small 650sq/ft~ house and would like to utilize my space more efficiently and because I'm a 26 year old man who should know how to build stuff. It's been quite some time since middle school shop class, however.

So, I spent 30 minutes in SketchUp designing this real simple mock-up of what I want. Forget the marble tops shown in the renders below, this would be done in all wood. I know all 3 screens aren't the same size, but neither are the three I have.... (See office/desk update )

mEbzRec.jpg

sLQPe1L.jpg

So, a pretty basic design. Nothing fancy. All wood construction. I'd probably throw some sort of laminate down on the surface tops to protect the wood, whether it be some vinyl covering from Lowes or literally drilling 1/4" plexan glass on top... something would be used. Bottom left/right openings would contain space for PC and shelving. No drawers or doors. Nothing sliding or latching... trying to keep it real simple here.

With that said, plus these real simple mockup/renderings... what do you think the total cost would be for something like this? My tool selection is limited, but what I don't have I can borrow. I'm not looking to purchase new tools. I've also got access to a kreg-jig which I am hoping will help me make this not look like crap. Ideas on wood that should be used? Any tips/suggestions from those with experience?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Simple project really.

No reason to get all fancy with it or costly. 

They sell stand up workstations.  Looking at $300~ on the low side.

You can build out of any cabinet grade lumber at your local hardware warehouse.

Cabinet grade wood is quite a bit more than 2x4 or 2x6 or 2x8, etc. lumber.

I see multiple issues with your rendering.  Mind you I work from a stand up desk setup every day.

Problem #1:  The desk top needs to be height adjustable.

If you fail to design for this (cost and complexity), my estimate of where the desktop should be height-wise is at the height when you are standing normal posture and stance, bend both arms like doing a bar curl.  Where your elbows are -  drop down 2-3 inches.  That should be a good long term desktop height.

Problem #2: The width of the desk seems off.  Standing normal stance in place put your out to your sides with your wrists bent upwards with fingers pointing to ceiling.   Measure that distance from wrist to wrist.   That's approximately what the width of your should be.  Generally, wider is better (need depth too) as this is really a desk on stilts and the taller one is, the more prone it is to being top heavy.   Bad to have your desk topple over randomly ;)

Problem #3: The monitor level needs to be adjustable.  I didn't fabricate my desk, but reused what I had here.  What I have for monitor level is a bookshelf affixed to the wall.  That shelf has 4 rails for metal shelf pins - intended to adjust the height of the shelves.  As is, my single monitor rests on the shelf.  At some points the angle might be too downward in nature, so I put the pins in and throw a shelf board in and put the monitor in a raised position.

Also the recess / indent for the mouse and keyboard, I am blah about that.  You'll be much happier with space there to use larger desk surface for keyboard and mouse.  I often slide mine back, clear that area and do paperwork there.  Makes an alright space for all sorts of tinkering, parts assembly, etc.

You'll do well looking for a piece of countertop or something intended as commericial top instead of using wood for the desk top.  Durability of wood is lacking.  If you do use wood, it must be finished, ideally heavily coated.  Stained and multiple coats of polyurethane.   I have a lightly finished wood desk elsewhere and had splinter issues multiple times.  That desk is stained and painted and I've worn through the finishes.

All of this won't save you from becoming a blob.  It helps and you will still need to retreat to a sit down desk.   I have a high bar stool style chair with a minimal 10 inch or so up back rest (mainly just support so you don't plunge off of it).

For ease of manufacture, you might want to consider using MDF, maybe something like 30mm thickness, and then putting a wooden veneer sheet over it, perhaps something like an pre-glued oak veneer It's probably a lot easier to work with a softer, artificial board like MDF than Oak, for example, but that really depends whether or not you'd be confident applying the veneer or not.

Here's an example veneer on eBay.

There are, though, a few concerns when working with MDF, as the adhesive it contains can be carcinogenic, so you'd want to consider that too.

Have you thought about what kind of joints you plan to use for the corners? 

In addition, you might want to go with a flat top surface, rather than the cut-out for the keyboard, as that would mean you could use a premade worktop material, which might be better.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
Go into Ikea and buy a basic 1000mm kitchen base unit. Half the works done and it's cost you next to nothing :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
No Ikea, I've never been to one nor know where one can be found near me without looking it up. Too costly anyhow.

Trying to keep this practical in terms of cost and design.Adjustability is nice and all, but if I want to sit down a stool is probably cheaper than building in the ability to raise/lower the desk (safely).

I'll figure something out. :)

mojeda

No Ikea, I've never been to one nor know where one can be found near me without looking it up. Too costly anyhow.

Trying to keep this practical in terms of cost and design.Adjustability is nice and all, but if I want to sit down a stool is probably cheaper than building in the ability to raise/lower the desk (safely).

A stool may not be the best idea to use, I would get a drafting chair.

AnthonySmith

Verified Provider
Not sure if this is a service available where you live but if I want something like that I would just make it out of cardboard the best I can, take measurements of every piece including where I want the holes and take the info to the local hardware shop, pick the wood and walk away with all the precision cut pieces and a bag of screws :)

Sounds stupid I know but getting some thick card like 1/4 inch and mocking it up first rules out almost all of the "Shit that is not big enough" or the "wish I thought of that in advance" 's 

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff

Well, Ikea came to mind simply because it's the 'big name' that everyone has. Any place that sells kitchens will do - a base unit will cost you a lot less to buy than to make something similar especially when they're made of the cheap, laminated chipboard that most of these things are. 

TekStorm - Walter

Hey man, the design looks simple enough and if you know how to use tools then you should be able to build it yourself. First thing to remember alway be exact with your measurement measure twice cut once with that being said. depending on the size you want to make it because there are no measurement posted. It looks like it will be a couple sheets of plywood, and depending of the thickness of the wood you want to use the sheet will run you anywhere from 25.00-50.00. So that is 100.00 there, then you will need the hardware get wood screws in bulk saves you a few bucks there and that will run you about 10.00, my advice is also get some hardware to re-enforce the corner where you connect everything with the screws that way it will last longer and hold more weight. And those will run you about 1.00-2.00 a piece and depending how many you want to put on, let's say 15 and that will cost 30.00. So, all in all you are looking about 150.00 total cost.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So, all in all you are looking about 150.00 total cost.

It's doable at that price no doubt.  Even less if you scavenge from used/vintage/etc.

I am fond of salvage stores.  Even if they are weird Main St. "antiques" joints.   The real salvage places rock, but big cities almost solely.

This is simple project. ;) Get to it BOSS.   

Don't forget a fatigue mat for the floor.  I like to work barefoot and my oak floors are like standing on concrete.

amuck-landowner