amuck-landowner

Anyone using a YubiKey for SSH authentication?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Got a YubiKey in the mail yesterday which was required for a temporary job I am doing, but I don't know much about them. Looking around, I don't see any easy to follow guide on how to get it working with SSH authentication, though I imagine it's doable considering I use it to login to a corporate VPN.

Anyone wanna right up a guide or point me in the right direction?

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
You have to know the key that is enrolled into the yubikey.  IIRC, it's just TOTP though.

I guess you could enroll another key into the yubikey after your job completes, but you won't be able to use it for both at the same time without knowing the enrolled key.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Ah, I see. Either way, a neat device. I'll probably order one in the future for my own personal use then.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
If you are interested in 2 factor authentication take a look at phonefactor.

Usable with sshd and websites, even rdp and the phonecall is free in many countries.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Google authenticator with QR code is quite nice:

2zrj19h.jpg

But I don't want to rely on google services. Still searching for a self-hosted GPL solution.

wdq

Quade
I also use Google Authenticator to secure SSH. It's nice to be able to have all of my SSH codes, as well as the codes for different online services including Gmail all in one app. 

amuck-landowner