amuck-landowner

Anyone Using / Hosting Plex?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Pretty sure @HalfEatenPie runs a Plex server though I personally know nothing about Plex as having never used or seen a need for it for myself. (yet)

Munzy

I host my plex on a colo'd server :)

Works wonders, make sure to change a few settings so the whole world can't access your content via local sharing.... :p

Also, my suggestion would be not to get a VPS, but rather a dedicated server, and thus why it would be unprofitable....

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Also, my suggestion would be not to get a VPS, but rather a dedicated server, and thus why it would be unprofitable....
Unprofitable unless you're French and receive government energy subsidies for using renewable energy sources and then selling an i3/i5 for 15-20 euros can be profitable.. :p

Google 'Kimsufi and plex'..

trewq

Verified Provider
I host my plex on a colo'd server :)

Works wonders, make sure to change a few settings so the whole world can't access your content via local sharing.... :p

How much bandwidth do you use while streaming? I host mine locally, don't think my connection is good enough for streaming from an external source.

Munzy

Unprofitable unless you're French and receive government energy subsidies for using renewable energy sources and then selling an i3/i5 for 15-20 euros can be profitable.. :p

Google 'Kimsufi and plex'..
I still think it would be unprofitable due to the needs for large (redundant) storage space, as well as the possibility for high bandwidth/cpu usage for a whole family.

Munzy

How much bandwidth do you use while streaming? I host mine locally, don't think my connection is good enough for streaming from an external source.

depends on the day, but personally I can use upwards of 10GBs a month just listening to music from my phone / home computer / second phone / work computer / and anything else. Don't watch many movies.

I can also eat through a lot of bandwidth when watching channels, that are properly integrated with plex. Jon Stewart is one.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Pretty sure @HalfEatenPie runs a Plex server though I personally know nothing about Plex as having never used or seen a need for it for myself. (yet)
Yep.  I do have a Plex server up running on a 1 TB Hard drive.  It's not bad, but I've basically stopped using it since I've been watching more and more shows and movies on Netflix.

Also it doesn't hurt that I really don't watch a lot of TV or movies.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalam

Run Plex on my FreeNas box at home. Share it with a few other friends that use Plex as well, and my upload speed can handle a couple 720p streams.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I run plex @ home on my Synology NAS and one on a Crissic server for when my friends and I watch GoT.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I've heard of it before but never used it personally. I don't really understand the purpose... Why use Plex?

It seems to be an XBMC like player with a server component that supports transcoding, but pretty much everything plays MP4 these days, no?

My remote media is currently stored on a regular VPS running Nginx and streamd to my client via VLC on desktop or MXPlayer on Android.

What's the advantage to running Plex?

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Transcoding depending on network speed.

For instance I can stream movies using 3G without using all bandwidth on my account in two days.

amuck-landowner