amuck-landowner

ARIN IPv6 Allocation for Free?

ocitysolutions

Verified Provider
Now that we have our gear free and clear of ColoCrossing's network we plan to add IPv6 for our customers. I understand that ARIN offers IPv6 allocations at no cost to organizations that already have direct IPv4 allocations. My question is, to someone who has gotten a direct IPv6 allocation from ARIN, is there a different procedure, and what allocation size do they provide at no charge?

Just to be clear: we don't have a problem paying for it, but with something like this, theres no sense paying for what could be free.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
IPv6 is free as long as it's in the same category of your IPv4 block.

Your IP renewal fee with ARIN is always based on whatever block size is largest.

If you have a /32 of IPv6 but only a /22 of IPv4, then you would be charged in the larger category as the /32 falls under "small" while a /22 fits into "XX-Small"

https://www.arin.net/fees/fee_schedule.html

/32 is typically standard, we got a /36 when we applied.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
As of last year IPv6 is essentially free if you're paying for IPv4 already. Prior to that IPv6 was almost double the cost of IPv4 depending on your IPv4 allocation.

lowesthost

Verified Provider
We were given a /32 without issue. They did not question it? Had the allocation within a day. 

With IPV4 they ask us the names of our clients first born (Sarcasm).  although or last request went with only one back & forth  pretty easy, but the time before it was 2 weeks of asking for additional information. I guess it depends on who is you ticket is assigned to :)   

Last edited by a moderator:

hostemo.com

Verified Provider
We were given a /32 without issue. They did not question it? Had the allocation within a day. 

With IPV4 they ask us the names of our clients first born (Sarcasm).  although or last request went with only one back & forth  pretty easy, but the time before it was 2 weeks of asking for additional information. I guess it depends on who is you ticket is assigned to :)   
Same happen to APNIC, we got it for free, and no justification is needed. So far i can see a lot of ISPs are ready to launch the ipv6, however, the content provider still continue using ipv4.  I believe this is the reason why ipv6 is stuck

amuck-landowner