amuck-landowner

ARIN Phase III has started

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
Makes me question their stance of being dual stack.

Francisco
Gotta love stalking arin-issued.

I think they're going to keep hoarding as much v4 as possible until the farewell /22 policy kicks in. Then maybe a few years after that happens they may deploy v6.

At least Comcast is enabling dual-stack for their residential customers now, and Charter has made a tiny move in that direction as well. Sad when the cable monopoly can do this.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Gotta love stalking arin-issued.

I think they're going to keep hoarding as much v4 as possible until the farewell /22 policy kicks in. Then maybe a few years after that happens they may deploy v6.

At least Comcast is enabling dual-stack for their residential customers now, and Charter has made a tiny move in that direction as well. Sad when the cable monopoly can do this.
I thought AT&T had v6 available for some clients? Or am I mistaken?

Francisco

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
Cell phone companies are already changing mobiles to NAT since ARIN wont give any of them more ip's.  There is a march towards IPv6 at all of them.

rds100

Verified Provider
Ineresting. Phase 3 started less than a month ago, and today ARIN is down to 1.86 /8s left. That was fast. Let's bid when Phase 4 will start.

365Networks

Also, I've never really looked into this but always wondered. Why can't ARIN snag some IPs from AfriNIC? Surely they aren't going to need them? LACNIC could probably lose some too.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Also, I've never really looked into this but always wondered. Why can't ARIN snag some IPs from AfriNIC? Surely they aren't going to need them? LACNIC could probably lose some too.
If those RIR's give the space to ARIN they could but ARIN can't just walk in and jack them or something.

The IP's were given to each RIR by IANA.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Ineresting. Phase 3 started less than a month ago, and today ARIN is down to 1.86 /8s left. That was fast. Let's bid when Phase 4 will start.
I was pretty surprised how fast it went from 2 to 1.86. I expected the 1 /8 to last about a year for Phase 4, but at this rate who knows. Seems like people are trying to soak up Ips even faster now than before.

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
I was pretty surprised how fast it went from 2 to 1.86. I expected the 1 /8 to last about a year for Phase 4, but at this rate who knows. Seems like people are trying to soak up Ips even faster now than before.
The cause that resulted in an initial loss of a .12 was due to AT&T hoarding a /12. The 0.02 loss was caused by ColoCrossing getting a /15.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
If AT&T got a /12 another one will probably be going to Verizon Wireless as well. I say we cross 1.5 before the end of Sept as the big requests get served.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
If ARIN said no more IPv4 allocations until you can prove your IPv6 deployments are live, these would last longer.

Master Bo

I wonder, does anyone try to keep stats of how IPv4 addresses space looks like? I.e., how many IPs are idle (unused for considerable time), wasted via allocating small blocks (since 2 IPs are reserved for every block allocated).

Boltersdriveer

Verified Provider
I wonder, does anyone try to keep stats of how IPv4 addresses space looks like? I.e., how many IPs are idle (unused for considerable time), wasted via allocating small blocks (since 2 IPs are reserved for every block allocated).
It doesn't really look very pretty on my end! We have several small assignments at a time and the IPs for gateway and network really add up over time. I think we're over 50 of those at this point!

amuck-landowner