amuck-landowner

ARIN proposes new fees

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
This is all just a proposal for now! ARIN is collecting feedback for 60 days before they do anything

ARIN put out a proposal for new fees. Most of the proposals don't affect any of us since a lot of them are aimed at the 'extremely large customers' that have /12's and larger. I've attached one proposal that will affect hosts on here in a good way:

DfOgVr0.jpg

https://www.arin.net/participate/acsp/community_consult/fee-structure-review.pdf

It hits the very big IP hoarders fairly hard still, but for the smaller providers it's a huge savings.

My big concern is that it'll exhaust things even further.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven F

Verified Provider
Wait... WHAT? When does this go into effect?

Edit:

Anyone that has that many IPs will more than likely not feel it. I mean, how many companies have an /8 or more and would feel $400,000 a year? None that I can think of.

Edit2:

I mean, look at ColoCrossing. They'll be paying $12,800 for their IPs. That's actually cheaper than the $16,000 they currently pay. (This is all based off of their announced IPs)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Wait... WHAT? When does this go into effect?

Edit:

Anyone that has that many IPs will more than likely not feel it. I mean, how many companies have an /8 or more and would feel $400,000 a year? None that I can think of.

Edit2:

I mean, look at ColoCrossing. They'll be paying $12,800 for their IPs. That's actually cheaper than the $16,000 they currently pay. (This is all based off of their announced IPs)
It's a proposal for now. They're collecting feedback for the next 60 days before they do anything. I'm sure the big wigs will contest the bump against them, but considering they have only a handful of ISP's that fall under it, they'll hopefully do right by everyone else.

Francisco

Steven F

Verified Provider
It's a proposal for now. They're collecting feedback for the next 60 days before they do anything. I'm sure the big wigs will contest the bump against them, but considering they have only a handful of ISP's that fall under it, they'll hopefully do right by everyone else.

Francisco
What about the ASN and registration fees, will those change as well?

ryanarp

Catalyst Host
Verified Provider
lol I just got my IP invoice this month, this would have been a nice change. 

lowesthost

Verified Provider
Wow  I was shocked when they lowered the fees this year  I would love to pay even less

My big concern is that it'll exhaust things even further.
I doubt it it wont come into effect until all is gone and Their  reasoning is probably  to get the  the large users to return some space to prolong the certain death of ipv4

qps

Verified Provider
There are a few other proposals in there...  might want to read through the whole thing.  It seems like at least some of those involved were inclined to leave things as is or just adjust the IPv6 pricing to remove the disincentive for smaller ISPs from adopting IPv6 (since the smallest IPv6 block ARIN currently allocates is a /36).

The proposed big pricing increases on the larger allocations will hit universities with large address holdings pretty hard.  Granted, that may be the intended impact, as they are probably the most likely organizations to return IP space.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
The proposed big pricing increases on the larger allocations will hit universities with large address holdings pretty hard.  Granted, that may be the intended impact, as they are probably the most likely organizations to return IP space.
There's more than a few schools that assign a dedicated IP, with full RDNS, for each student.

I can see that as a useful way of nailing down abuse and such but yeah.

Honestly, how many schools have more than a /12 of IP space?

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
I'm sure someone could tell us, but I suspect a lot of schools have way more addresses than what they need.  A /16 was pretty much the default allocation to a school and they handed out multiple /16s to a lot of schools.  Most of these schools don't need anywhere close to that.  When I was in school, even the printers had static public IP addresses, because why not?

The issue is how many of these schools are grandfathered under legacy RSAs and wouldn't be impacted anyway.

A lot of schools could probably use the RFC 1918 space and return a good chunk of their addresses.  Or, use it as a reason to start pushing out IPv6 and use NAT for IPv4.  If schools started doing this, it would probably do a lot for IPv6 adoption.

perennate

Verified Provider
Well, MIT has a /8; although I don't see $200,000 being that much pressure.

rds100

Verified Provider
There were similar ideas discussed to make RIPE's fees more proportional to the amount of addresses given to each member. However they said that currently RIPE is registered as non-profit organization and if they make the fee proportional to the usage it would have to register as a company and start paying taxes so they ditched the idea. Now the yearly membership fee is the same for everyone, regardless of the amount of IP addresses.

bullfrog3459

There's more than a few schools that assign a dedicated IP, with full RDNS, for each student.

I can see that as a useful way of nailing down abuse and such but yeah.

Francisco
Fort Hays State University used to have a /8, but I don't know if they do anymore.

lowesthost

Verified Provider
Well, MIT has a /8; although I don't see $200,000 being that much pressure.
MIT has a legacy block  so the do not pay a dime

qps

Verified Provider
MIT has a legacy block  so the do not pay a dime
They probably have entered into a legacy RSA with ARIN which requires a $125 fee per year per resource.  i.e. /8 = $125, ASN = $125, /24 = $125

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
They probably have entered into a legacy RSA with ARIN which requires a $125 fee per year per resource.  i.e. /8 = $125, ASN = $125, /24 = $125
No wonder tuition is so expensive!

Francisco

amuck-landowner