amuck-landowner

Arvixe IMPLOSION - Hacked, Customer Database Overwritten, Workers Fired, etc.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Agreed that there is no need to name and shame. I have no interest in the data either, just figured these sorts of dumps usually/eventually end up in public anyway.

Oh I agree....  It's semi public that I am alright with...  Acknowledge it exists, prove it to naysayers, inform the victims.

People misuse such to spam people and all sorts of the thing.  Age of the data aggreGATORS.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
So much money invested in 'internet security' and yet it seems as if these sorts of events (i.e. database dumps from popular brands that go unreported) are just commonplace. All that money to keep the client oblivious! I guess more embarassing to admit it was squandered.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tyler

@HN-Matt it's a pretty good summary of the events with some useful links to applicable forum threads. Unfortunately VPSBoard is not linked :(

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
I dunno, didn't read it. Why does VPSBoard need to be linked?

@drmike was on the fence re: emailing everyone so the thread will become quite linked if that happens. VPS Bard will recieve precisely 81k+ unique visitors in one day allowing for @MannDude to retire early from the ad revenue.

NewGrid

Arvixe seems to now have it's technical support, Priority Support actually, giving wordy and useless replies.

"My apologies for asking, but what issues are being faced as of the time of this email that I can assist you in addressing?"

This is a response given to "My website is down.  Did you change the IP address?"

I am in contact with the good technical support people of Arvixe, meaning the laid-off ones, and they told me this response means that Priority Support now must have a ticket quota.  This means each response is considered a ticket reply.  

The other news that I heard was that the choice of which Arvixe employees where laid off was done on the advice of just one employee from Arvixe's old Quality Assurance department.  Apparently he convinced A Small Orange that he and he alone was qualified for this task and now I have vps hosting that used to be great, that is always down and I have Priority Support which used to be the most professional IT staff I have ever encountered now giving BS replies to make a ticket quota.

To the laid off staff at Arvixe; Start a company.  You are more helpful to me while not working at Arvixe than the people still working at Arvixe.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Arvixe seems to now have it's technical support, Priority Support actually, giving wordy and useless replies.

"My apologies for asking, but what issues are being faced as of the time of this email that I can assist you in addressing?"

not quite minced enough imho

RLT

Should been longer and vaguer. Good for at least three replies before even beginning to check the system. Then toss in some routing checks and you're over quota.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Also the same canned response needs to be repeated at least twice within a single ticket so as to obstruct it from advancing, or to stall for time. Normally it is preferable for the second canned response in the series to go above and beyond the 'client / host' relational pretext within which it had purported to be 'responding'. Best results often appear as the perfected merger of oblivious functionality and illiquid non sequitur. However, with apposite &/or accidental timing this mode can sometimes be salvaged as a reverse proxy for various post-IPv6 bathos allocations.

Last edited by a moderator:

diogenese19348

I've got a VPS Pro account with Arvixe, I've had it for three years now.  It would have renewed 11/29, I just pulled it off autorenew.  I started having problems with my e-mail getting rejected yesterday, apparently the e-mail server is now using a dynamic address rather than a static one.  My cpanel is now saying it's a trial version.  The discussion board at Arvixe has gone missing, it's replaced by announcements of six emergency server moves.  And the support blog is asking for patience while they correct extremely long response times, as well as an article about what you should do if the DNS listing for your site is wrong.  And of course I have gotten absolutely no correspondence about what is going on, including that server hack.

If I was one of the 7 dwarves it would not be Happy.

Tyler

Why does VPSBoard need to be linked?
Oops, didn't see this. At the time of writing they hadn't linked to it on WHT but now they have. I thought it should have been linked since it is a lot of useful information and spells things out better regarding the leak. On WHT they're still unsure of the depth of the breach and others have their hands on different versions of the database--in other words, it's bad but they won't fess up.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why does VPSBoard need to be linked?
Oops, didn't see this. At the time of writing they hadn't linked to it on WHT but now they have. I thought it should have been linked since it is a lot of useful information and spells things out better regarding the leak. On WHT they're still unsure of the depth of the breach and others have their hands on different versions of the database--in other words, it's bad but they won't fess up.
TL;DR from the background is that Arvixe had MULTIPLE things taken.

1. A dump that is partial that contains customer emails.

2. A file that containers vendor accounts and credentials.

3. Alleged to be fuller DUMPS that contain complete or more complete customer data.

Denial is a strong drug.  Wait until they have to face Attorney Generals over this coverup.

Yirmiyahu

I was surprised to see a major problem occurs with Arvixe. Many people say this is because Arvand Sabetian sell part Arvixe to EIG. I never thought before that big company like Arvixe could lose control like that. I was looking through the reviews about Arvixe, all of them say that they have a good service. But suddenly at the beginning of this month I see some of their customers complain about website down. More and more customers are complaining about the same thing. Whereas before I was thinking of buying their hosting package, but eventually I had to look for other options. Finally, I look for other options by reading some of the hosting reviews. Some of them recommend asphostportal, which was absolutely the right choice for me.

diogenese19348

I can vouch for the fact I have 2 VPS's - one my own, and one for a client, that have been going down every night for the last two nights.  They seem to go down around 7:30 pm and come back up at around 7 am.  No notification of what is going on, and the whole VPS is going down in each case, I can't log into them even from the billing accounts.  I'd put in a ticket, but what's the point?  More to the point, I'm in the process of moving all the sites from them.  They will not renew.  FUN FACT:  For the moment, all the recommendations Arvixe lists on it's site have live links to site of the person making the recommendation.  Very few of those sites are functional.  I wonder what the review would look like now by the same people...

Tyler

@diogenese19348 As a cost saving measure, they're turning servers off. Additionally, they've recommended that we eat children to stop world hunger

diogenese19348

(this space reserved for swear words)

Yeah, and these are VPS's Lord knows how screwed up they have the shared accounts.  The other interesting thing is they're still posting their live satisfaction ratings.  Apparently they haven't noticed how quickly they're going down.  I imagine that page is going south sometime soon also.  If they still have anybody there that can maintain a website anyway.  September they were at 8.  October they are at 5.7 (probably about 4.7 higher than it should be).  And this is on their promo page.  I have never seen a company sink so quickly.  I can't imagine how EIG can stay in business, the loan notes must not be due yet.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have never seen a company sink so quickly.  I can't imagine how EIG can stay in business, the loan notes must not be due yet.

Like this:

"Endurance Expands Google Apps for Work Offering to India and MexicoEndurance and Google Extend Relationship to Help Small Businesses in Emerging Markets Succeed Online""Small Businesses" = I won't .. but yeah... low wages and guys doing gig economy in mass... in go the predators from afar with the biggest tool-kit.

What you really need to know:

Endurance International Group to Announce 2015 Third Quarter Financial Results on November 2, 2015

Did you know?

% of Shares Held by All Insider and 5% Owners:10%% of Shares Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners:102%% of Float Held by Institutional & Mutual Fund Owners:113%Number of Institutions Holding Shares:120
So.... shares are all held by institutional and mutual fund owners and the insiders and 5%'rs...  Does anyone in the public own a share of EIGI?

Go ahead go see who those holders of shares... and where that money siphons too....  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=EIGI+Major+Holders

Did we all forget the illustrious history of Goldman Sachs aka Goldman Sucks? Too big to fail....  Well they are a major holder along with Warburg Pincus.  Others in the crowd are various investment wings funding pensions and other give mes. 

Seems like more elaborate thefting by the lazy money, where they rob the productive working age and destroy the economy and other viable businesses through actions that should reach anti trust concerns...  But, US regulators wait until everyone is murdered before they pull their heads out of their corrupt asses.

zafouhar

One more thing, in 2014 they attempted to artificially increase the share price by giving free shares to US-based EIG staff.

amuck-landowner