amuck-landowner

Automatically Install ownCloud on Debian 7

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
This tutorial is to show you how to install a ownCloud on Debian 7 automatically.

In order for this to work correctly you will need to follow these instructions.

You need to be running Debian 7 32bit or 64bit for this to work.

Please note that this is intended for a clean install as this will remove ALL existing MySQL databases, Nginx and Apache Configurations and Websites on your server.

First you need to download the script, this can be done by running:

wget http://files.rmlh.me/scripts/debian/owncloud.sh
Once that’s downloaded you need to give it permissions to run, you can do this with:
Code:
chmod +x owncloud.sh
So now we’re ready to start, just enter:
Code:
./owncloud.sh
Now follow the on-screen instructions and ownCloud should work.
If you have any issues just comment on this post.

You can see the original post on my blog - http://rmlh.me/?p=34

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
FWIW, I just had a quick look over the ownCloud.sh script, and it looks OK. It does reinstall Apache, MySQL, and PHP, but I guess it does so to ensure a clean and up to date environment. It sets up all the configs, downloads and extracts the latest version of OwnCloud to the right folders, about what you'd expect. A good was to automate the installation. Good work @.

shovenose

Verified Provider
Are you concerned about SSL during the installation or do you mean you want the SSL installed afterward? How can any intercepters view the files you upload? I honestly do not see how that is possible - reconstructing an uploaded file is not easy in this sense. Too many TV shows where they make "hacking" so easy it is absolutely ridiculuos and creates paranoia. Even though perhaps that is a good thing because it encourages stupid users and companies to make their shit have SSL.

I am not complaining I am simply entirely confused as to why you'd want SSL on OwnCloud??

GIANT_CRAB

Are you concerned about SSL during the installation or do you mean you want the SSL installed afterward? How can any intercepters view the files you upload? I honestly do not see how that is possible - reconstructing an uploaded file is not easy in this sense. Too many TV shows where they make "hacking" so easy it is absolutely ridiculuos and creates paranoia. Even though perhaps that is a good thing because it encourages stupid users and companies to make their shit have SSL.

I am not complaining I am simply entirely confused as to why you'd want SSL on OwnCloud??
Because privacy?

I assume that @ricardo777 will use it to store his personal files, which are kind of sensitive items.

Not everyone will be bothered to break into your house but this kind of things still happens.

Same goes to ownCloud setups.

ricardo777

Because privacy?

I assume that @ricardo777 will use it to store his personal files, which are kind of sensitive items.

Not everyone will be bothered to break into your house but this kind of things still happens.

Same goes to ownCloud setups.
There are indeed alot of sensitive/personal files on it, when I gonna used it. So I prefer SSL when available.

Even when there is a very small chance for "hackers" to get some of the files during transfer or login credentials. I want to bring it to a minimal when I can.

rmlhhd

Verified Provider

Having SSL whether it's really required or not is always a good thing. It makes it more secure.

Thelen

Verified Provider
Thanks, I was looking for ownCloud install guides for Deb7, the ones i have for deb 6 break :/

coreyman

Verified Provider
You might want to make a disclaimer about it removing and reinstalling services in the LAMP area as this could affect some environments.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Last edited by a moderator:

Thelen

Verified Provider
Yea I could probably figure it out, just the one saved in my notes file doesn't work but I made it years ago.

amuck-landowner