Automatically provision dedicated servers... how?

Discussion in 'Operating a Hosting Business' started by 45ACP, Oct 29, 2014.

1. 45ACP

45ACP New Member

Aug 8, 2013
    How do some companies automatically deploy new dedicated servers for their customers when others make take 3-10+ days to deliver one manually? Assuming the servers are in stock and racked already (not custom) what solutions are available that will power them up and build the OS for the customer?

2. shunny

shunny New Member

May 24, 2013
    NOC-PS is an example of a software, foreman is another. 

But I think it gets down to how disciplined the provider is and how committed they are in deploying servers as quickly as possible to customers. 

3. Francisco

Francisco Company Lube Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    NOC-PS is a really fancy frontend to PXE.

If you having some developers you could put together your own system but NOC-PS is so affordable that it comes down to 'why bother' unless you need something really fancy.

Francisco

4. Xeepi

Xeepi New Member Verified Provider

Oct 27, 2014
    NOS-PS is really good option to consider, however it does not provide support for WHMCS module any more, sigh...

LinMin is another option, as well as FastDeploy, but never had any experience with them, anyone could share?

Serveo likes this.
  5. rds100

rds100 New Member Verified Provider

May 18, 2013
    On the other hand the WHMCS module is not encoded so you are free to use it as a base and make whatever changes and customizations.

6. Xeepi

Oct 27, 2014
    That's why many providers are still using it, maybe NOC-PS will re-consider to continue the WHMCS module development in the future, who knows.

7. trewq

trewq Active Member Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    If people are still using it then why would they bother putting money towards it?

8. Xeepi

Oct 27, 2014
    Last time I checked with them, their answer is simply "because WHMCS is buggy, we deserted it." LOL

9. William

William pr0 Verified Provider

Oct 10, 2013
    Consequent.

10. msp - nick

msp - nick Member Verified Provider

Jun 2, 2014
    Doesn't urbersmith do this?

11. MartinD

MartinD Retired Staff Retired Staff Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    Unless you have quite deep pockets and want to work with infuriating software where the devs believe they are gods then it's not really an option.

Serveo likes this.
  12. fileMEDIA

fileMEDIA New Member Verified Provider

May 20, 2013
    NOC-PS is fine and really cheap. You have full access to the API and can develop all required functions and can also process VMs.

Currently nothing in this prices which can beat it.

13. hostemo.com

hostemo.com New Member Verified Provider

Nov 30, 2013
    I am trying noc-ps now. Hopefully this feature could bring more attractive to client. :D :D :D

14. drmike

drmike 100% Tier-1 Gogent

May 13, 2013
    I've used Noc-PS as end user.  Dacentec uses it.

Rather nice software and it just works.

From a customer perspective,  yeah,  I want to see more Noc-ps and similar rather than waiting for datacenter staff to fuss with things and manual install then hand over.   Saves heaps of times.

15. 45ACP

45ACP New Member

Aug 8, 2013
    Seems like NOC-PS is the recommended option... I'll take a gander.

16. TurnkeyInternet

TurnkeyInternet Active Member Verified Provider

Sep 30, 2014
    with the customization clients want - it's a crap shoot you can rely on auto provisioning to a large extent for more than rescue and reformat/rollbackup and restores of existing clients.    That said, if you run a ford-model-T approach (3 server model/configs only) a tool like Noc-PS or Linmin is fine - or just using your own pxe loaders automation is the way to go. 

17. Steven F

Steven F New Member Verified Provider

Jun 27, 2013
    We're working on our own solution. It's relatively simple, actually, to do basic OS installations. I'm getting my home server test lab setup next week and will be working on more advanced features (six SuperMicro servers and two Cisco switches, nothing fancy). :)

18. TurnkeyInternet

TurnkeyInternet Active Member Verified Provider

Sep 30, 2014
    Remeber with cisco switches "ip helper" is your friend  (per port)  :)  Home growing it is the best, even you end up replacing it some day with a commercial product you learn a lot of the underlying aspects to make it better overall even with another product.

19. datarealm

datarealm New Member Verified Provider

Jun 26, 2013
    All you need is console access and a PXE boot server.

20. layerbyte_ben

layerbyte_ben New Member Verified Provider

Oct 4, 2014
    I attempted to give NOC-PS a try, but had a question regarding one of the features and sent a request for information via their contact method. After a few days wait, I ended up getting a one line sentence telling me to go look on their site for the information I want. Not real helpful, as what I was looking for was not on the site..