amuck-landowner

Best Python WebFramework for a Python newb?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I've got a little (and I mean little) Python knowledge, though would like to expand on it. I'm feeling inspired by Novacha's work on here to get back into it.

What are some decent frameworks I should be looking at? Flask? Bottle? Web2Py? Django? What would be a good starting point for relatively simple and basic web applications?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
To be honest I wouldn't mess around with a framework until I grasp the concepts of Python. Using a pre-made framework hinders learning. As you end up learning that particular framework rather than learning what the language itself has to offer. With that said, I do like how simple Flask is, but Django has a much larger community.

https://pypi.python.org/pypi has quite a few software applications, you can look at how other people tackle certain tasks in Python versus another language you are familiar with.

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
I would recommend Flask or web.py. If you want to dive into MVC, Django is an good choice.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll have a closer look into some of these. My experience with Python is limited to about half of 'Learn Python the Hard Way'. Maybe I should go through it again and finish it, and branch off from there?

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Maybe I should go through it again and finish it, and branch off from there?
This is what I did. I read a lot through various online and print media, browsed github and other places. Took what I learned and tried to apply it to actual use. I also converted scripts from one language to another.

CodyRo

Verified Provider
The best one is really dependent on your needs. If you're creating a RESTful API Flask & Bottle (as others have mentioned) are absolutely amazing.

If you're looking to build a robust portal a full stack framework like Django or TurboGears is not a bad way to go - the learning curve is steep but the features are quite robust. They also allow for rapid development once you get the hang of it and a lot of times allow you to avoid re-creating the wheel.

Make sure you'r savvy in the basics of Python - a simple book like you mentioned will be apt but it'll save you a lot of headaches down the road (this slice isn't slicing right! lambdawut?).

fisle

This thread got me into trying me some Python.

I am following this Flask tutorial. It seems really nice.

Also, is the only way to deal with unicode in strings to prepend it with 'u'? like:

u'string here äöå'
seems a bit silly to me

amuck-landowner