amuck-landowner

Best way to backup websites on a VPS?

hxQ&S8ZaVn9e

What are you people doing to backup your websites on a VPS to another server? And how do you secure your backup server since it only stores backups? Right now I download files manually to my home PC but I think it will be better and faster to instead automate it and put it on a remote server. My provider makes backups too but I read that you should do them yourself also and not trust or rely on provider backups so I ask: What do you do?

willie

I personally just manually rsync or scp tarballs around once in a while, but there's a couple other threads on this topic with better solutions.  If you have a live database with critical data on the vps, you probably want replication as well as backup.  That's usually a matter of db configuration, depending on the database.

Jack134

Here are the steps:

1. Use a backup solution like Duplicati, Rsync, or Snapshot Manager to regularly copy website files and databases to an external storage device or cloud service.
2. Test restores periodically to ensure the backups are working properly and can be easily recovered in case of data loss or server failure.

3v-manager

What are you people doing to backup your websites on a VPS to another server? And how do you secure your backup server since it only stores backups? Right now I download files manually to my home PC but I think it will be better and faster to instead automate it and put it on a remote server. My provider makes backups too but I read that you should do them yourself also and not trust or rely on provider backups so I ask: What do you do?
Hello.
Setting up rsync correctly helps with this issue. If it is configured correctly, then all necessary files and directories are automatically copied from the remote server to any other computer.
Also, do not forget to make database backups. In order not to forget to do this, CRON will help.

hostking

Alternatively get another small cheap VPS with another provider in another country and create a rsync script to backup content there.

ITivan80

There are my ways to backup your websites on VPS. Manually backing up your website files can be done by copying them to a local storage device, such as an FTP client or a local drive. This requires regular manual action and can be time-consuming, but it is a straightforward method. There are also paid services that can automatically backup your website for you, such as R1Soft, BackupGuard and Acronis. These services offer frequent backups and can automate the entire process for you. Whichever method you choose, it is important to regularly backup your website files to prevent data loss in the event of a disaster or unforeseeable circumstances. It is also beneficial to have multiple backup methods in place for added redundancy and security.

James

Backing up websites on a VPS is crucial for ensuring data security and business continuity. Here's a recommended approach:
  1. Automatic Backups: Set up automated backups using server-level tools or third-party backup software. Most VPS providers offer backup solutions or have partnerships with backup providers. These tools can automatically schedule backups at regular intervals.
  2. File-Level Backups: Use tools like rsync or tar to create file-level backups. You can schedule cron jobs to regularly run these backups and store them in a secure location, either on the VPS itself (though not recommended) or on a separate storage system.
  3. Database Backups: If your website relies on databases (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL), ensure regular backups of the database content. You can use built-in database tools or third-party backup solutions specifically designed for databases.
  4. Off-site Backups: Store backups in a location separate from your VPS. This could be another server, cloud storage (like AWS S3, Google Cloud Storage, or Dropbox), or a dedicated backup service. Off-site backups protect against data loss in the event of a VPS failure or disaster.
  5. Incremental Backups: Consider implementing incremental backups to reduce backup times and storage requirements. Incremental backups only save changes made since the last backup, rather than duplicating entire files or databases each time.

amuck-landowner