amuck-landowner

Bitcoin VPS/Dedi

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I think TortoiseLabs does? May need to send them a sales email and find out.

hzr

#hashtagtwerkteam
Do you actually mean mining or do you mean pay with, because trying to mine BTC on a VPS is going to result in like 0.000000000001 of a buttcoin in 2^32 years.

TheLinuxBug

You really need GPU to do mining, your best bet would be to find someone who specializes in GPU farms or provides a GPU on their dedicated servers and use that to mine.  Using straight CPU would be a waste of your time and money, like other said it will take forever to get anything out of it.

Cheers!

Slownode

I though only Lattice FPGAs and ASIC is economical for mining, although using your unused GPU power makes sense... if your power is cheap.

The bitcoin buzz has blown over and will die off when a better crypto currency takes over.

TheLinuxBug

I though only Lattice FPGAs and ASIC is economical for mining, although using your unused GPU power makes sense... if your power is cheap. The bitcoin buzz has blown over and will die off when a better crypto currency takes over.

Well yes, but I figured a server with a GPU is a better option  than trying to do it with pure CPU on a VPS or DEDI without GPU access. To really make anything mining though, the two machines you mentioned are your best bet. However, you need a nice chunk of change for those dedicated mining setups.

Cheers!

hzr

#hashtagtwerkteam
Well yes, but I figured a server with a GPU is a better option  than trying to do it with pure CPU on a VPS or DEDI without GPU access. To really make anything mining though, the two machines you mentioned are your best bet. However, you need a nice chunk of change for those dedicated mining setups.

Cheers!
It's not a 'better option', it's more like 'the only option that will get you more than a micromillicoin'. CPU mining was viable years ago, though.

ICPH

If you wish, you can buy bitcoin mining VPS from Instantcpanelhosting.com, it accepts bitcoin payments too. But i personally agree with fellow members, i think standard PC mining is the past. Only some kind of speciallised ASIC can be yelding enough to give you money back for purchase.

Increhost

Verified Provider
You can instead do mining with CPU or GPU but with a different crypto-currency, like Litecoin.

Sure, no the same money, not so reliable maybe?, but you'll get at least a few bucks faster

than mining bitcoins.

Cheers

Sunshine

I know that Bitcoin is completely pointless for CPU mining, but how about Litecoin? It seems that GPU has much less of an advantage with Litecoins.

Lets say that I'm renting a dedicated dual-5420 and I'm currently just using it for development and testing, some occasional batch processing, a couple of small websites, etc. But for the most part, the CPU doesn't really get utilized.

I doubt that Litecoin mining would cover the cost of the server, but a couple of bucks / month would be nice enough.

Worth the trouble?

willie

From what I hear, it's impossible to make money even with GPU mining for bitcoin (the electricity costs more than the coins are worth).  Maybe not even with FPGA.  ASICs are so much more efficient that they now dominate the mining scene.

Litecoin is designed for CPU mining (memory intensive) but they are harder to spend.  I don't know the actual economics of them.  I have a couple of mostly-idle dedicated servers so have been tempted to look into Litecoin but burning electricity on something like that just seems obnoxious.

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I think TortoiseLabs does? May need to send them a sales email and find out.
If they do it, they will be given a 'bulk' CPU SLA level.  For bitcoin, it seems really unprofitable to me.  I don't see how you would get any coins on an e3-1270v2 when you are competing against people with ASICs.

amuck-landowner