amuck-landowner

Black Friday and Cyber Monday isn't too far away. Who had the best deals last year?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
@MannDude What if there was some good deals on Gun stuff at a physical store?
Ha. Actually I'm pretty content with everything I have right now. Only thing I could really use is more 7.62X54R ammo and that's relatively cheap as is and I still prefer to order most stuff online anyhow (Parts, kits, ammo). Only thing I usually buy at the LGS is targets on the way to the range and sometimes ammo. I mostly go in their to eyeball their selection and drool all over the counter.

I think all I'll really be looking for this year is a deal on some RAM for my workstation, and maybe something for the house... IDK. I need new blinds. My cat has grown fond of two different windows and has destroyed the blinds in the process of trying to look outside.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I need new blinds. My cat has grown fond of two different windows and has destroyed the blinds in the process of trying to look outside.
Time to deep fry that f'n cat.

My goldfish doesn't piss on the rugs, climb the walls, etc. ;)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Blackfriday really seems to be almost a brain wash on the masses, they all buy because everyone else is buying - and the media says this is the time to buy.  I've never been willing to stand in line to wait for that 'deal' that may or may not be there when the store opens.  But I admit years ago i was waiting in line online to buy at an online store, that sold out in 90 seconds, web site crashed, and said sold out when done (was for a TV years ago). 

Since then, I've been busy working on black friday vs shopping so I don't get to pay attention.
No purchasing of hardware via the internet? Honestly I'd probably pick up a few things via internet shopping.

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
Ha. Actually I'm pretty content with everything I have right now. Only thing I could really use is more 7.62X54R ammo and that's relatively cheap s.
Be thankful you aren't in NY - you need to fill out paperwork with the 'purpose and intent of your purchase', that go into a state run database and go through a new back ground check for every bullet you buy now.  So no black friday stock up on ammo in NY!

rds100

Verified Provider
Be thankful you aren't in NY - you need to fill out paperwork with the 'purpose and intent of your purchase', that go into a state run database and go through a new back ground check for every bullet you buy now.  So no black friday stock up on ammo in NY!
What if you buy from another state?

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
That is what you get when you let Liberals ruin your freedoms.

What if you buy from another state?
Good point or even on sites like GunBroker.com

RosenHost

I just got a mail from Namecheap. Looks like they will have some pretty good deals.

• .club registration $0.98 (first year) 
  • Private Email Business package $0.98 (first year) 
  • Value plan shared hosting $0.98 (first year)
  • .com/.net/.org transfer $0.98 (one year) 
  • 3 months of Reseller hosting $0.98 
  • .com/.net/.org registration $0.98 (first year) 
  • Comodo PositiveSSL $0.98 (first year)
  • "Lucky dip" dedicated server $48.88/mo., while supplies last 
  • .website registration $0.98 (first year) 
  • Black Friday only: .io registration $19.88 (first year)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=623Oga9NPvE

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris

Blackfriday really seems to be almost a brain wash on the masses, they all buy because everyone else is buying - and the media says this is the time to buy.  I've never been willing to stand in line to wait for that 'deal' that may or may not be there when the store opens.  But I admit years ago i was waiting in line online to buy at an online store, that sold out in 90 seconds, web site crashed, and said sold out when done (was for a TV years ago). 

Since then, I've been busy working on black friday vs shopping so I don't get to pay attention.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-28%20at%204.01.12%20AM.png

:lol:

Dylan

OpticServers

Verified Provider
i did not actually do any black friday last year! but i am buying all the family's christmas presents and other little things today :p

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
i did not actually do any black friday last year! but i am buying all the family's christmas presents and other little things today :p
Yeah, I may do a fair share of internet shopping today and Monday just to go ahead and get my Christ,as stuff out of the way.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=623Oga9NPvE

Since I recall the early 1980's and how it was, yerp, appreciated.

Things were a lot smoother, cooler and less bullshit than now.

The folks in that video in 2013, holy riot fever.

I still ask if these folks are getting such great deals.  I buy all year round, and where possible used / returns.  I buy very little that is heavily advertised.  I buy nothing that is trending, hip, must have.  

Heck,  I buy pretty good all said.

Camping out and carrying on is worth a discount on a new TV.  Who knew?

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Sadly wasn't much of anything good this year. I did go to Walmart though and picked up an Xbox One Halo bundle with the $30 card and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare.

People were going crazy for the TVs and the main aisle was pretty much blocked / hard to navigate. Seen a few people with groceries in their carts, so perhaps a new trend to buy Milk and junk on Black Friday / Thursday.

Heck, a woman in front of me had fraud written all over her trying to sell a gift card. She tried buying a pack of cigarettes with two different checks both denied.

I want to say it took me about 40-50 mins just to find what I wanted and go. I will say it was nice not having to freeze waiting outside like other stores since Walmart is 24hrs and their queue lines are spread throughout the store.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
My big Black Friday spending: 5 euros for 3 months (1.67 monthly) of a 1GB RAM/100GB storage Cloudbox from Versio.  Not recurring so 29.97 euros quarterly if I decide to renew. (offer is still available until 6PM EST tonight).  Their website and customer portal is Dutch only but the OnApp control panel is in English.

I try to avoid shopping in physical stores (with the exception of food stores) from Black Friday to Xmas because my state has yet to legalize punching raving lunatic holiday shoppers in the face. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I partook, just once in Black Friday, albeit rather late and past the date.  So much for specials, more lingering specials that end whenever.

Today I picked up a VPN for a year.  Had been with company on monthly plan.  I hate invoices and the noise in the inbox. Annual does away with that.

So discounted price for annual prepay, then they knocked like 20% off that annual price for Black Friday special.

:D

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Nice!

I got a Turnkey Internet VPS.  Honestly first I was a bit underwhelmed by the network, Cogent and HE only.  However it didn't end up being too bad and I switched it over to Xen HVM for Windows Server.  

Not bad.  Not bad.  

RosenHost

NameCheap homepage was mostly unresponsive during BF. But on Cyber Monday I was able to get a few domains from them. Other than that, this year I did not buy much. Turnkey's VPS for 9.99/month was too much of a temptation for me. But I was able to resist it. -_-

amuck-landowner