amuck-landowner

Brainstorming an idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
So I have had this idea of creating a coding group. Basically we can come up with projects that would be mutually beneficial for a lot of us and put our minds together to create better projects with more features and cleaner code that has been audited by multiple people.

We would need people who are experienced coders to oversee/administrate the group and help out with those who are less experienced.

This could be really valuable for beginning coders because it would allow them to work with people who have more experience so they can improve and gain experience so they can write better code as well as get experience working on projects.

So far this is just being brainstormed and would need to be expanded upon.

Any thoughts?

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Could be great,  it would be nice to be a part of a community where people can bounce ideas off of each other easily.  However, many different coding languages and platforms, what specifically were you thinking of?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Great idea.

You will easily define how the people work together (agile, svn/git), what licence type the group will use, a.s.o.

It might be possible to get release schedules too. People do often not realize that a release date does include a defined set of workload too - like 10 hours a week.

The group might find a good product owner too - defining the user stories but it will not be such easy to find a scrum master handling all the little problems.

Not including all the squabbling when some people realize that they don't have a "rank" and the other "rankers" realizing that beeing responsible means a lot of work.

Yup a coding Kanban group would be fun - count me in. We do allready have a place to put the code in (vpsboard git repository) and we do have a place for talking too (vpsboard/irc).

Now we just need a goal.

Like any other FOSS project you might only find people doing the awkward work if they are committed to a project (goal).

There will be a high fluctuation of members too, depending on what the group is currently doing.

So let's start and see how many people we get for the first idea.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I'd be up for hosting a Jira installation and then I'll tie in the vpsboard git repo for the project. That will allow for the kanban development/goals to be created. 

What languages would you want to work in? I would say Python, PHP/HTML, or Ruby would be the best to start in.

Thoughts?

Edit: I'd like to limit the project (at least the beta) down to 3-5 people.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I work with a team of programmers... kanban CAN AND WILL save our souls. :)
What software do you plan on using as a collaboration tool?

This is a bit off topic but I've been trying to find a good one as kind of a personal planner + JIT kinda system except not only for codes + Calendar.  I currently have an installation of JIRA going but I'm not the biggest fan at the moment.  

fisle

I have been dreaming of creating good, simple to use email panel. You know the basics; add domains, create email addresses, slap on a webmail client and create a good API for it.

I am thinking of trying to make one in Python, Flask as a learning project for myself. Been rolling my head in Flask last two months, I like it way more than I ever liked PHP.

NodeWest-Dan

I'd be interested in something like this.  I'm new to the community but have HTML and CSS experience.  I'm currently looking to get into programming so this would be helpful and sounds like a lot of fun.

5n1p

Well not sure about commitment, but sure count me in, I know a bit of python, HTML/CSS, would be great to work with people that know more.

P.S. If there is going to be admin positions open I would vote for @wlanboy :). Why? Knows much and no ego at least that is how I see him. 

peterw

So what kind of projects would you all be interested in?
Simple and bullet proof DNS managment panel with the functionallity to support dnydns for subdomains.

No database, no apache, no php.

P.S. If there is going to be admin positions open I would vote for @wlanboy :). Why? Knows much and no ego at least that is how I see him.
Vote for him too.

Last edited by a moderator:

bpsRobert

Verified Provider
I would suggest creating a list of suggested projects, and then having the group members vote on one to begin with. There are numerous complaints in the industry regarding some current popular software pieces, such as WHMCS and SolusVM with their quirks, etc. It may be beneficial to include alternates to these, in the project list to be voted on. Personally, I believe coding a new billing system from the ground up, would be extremely time consuming, and fairly frustrating for newer coders. Where as, a SolusVM alternate, would probably be easier in the short run to get something functional going, especially even if restricted to just OpenVZ compatability in the beginning. Also it opens up a wider range of abilities to be called upon, as you will have a need for some web front end coding experience, and possible even on the backend a need for some shell scripting, as openvz has alot of shell commands built into it that can be worked with in scripts, such as vzmigrate and vzlist, vzctrl, etc. 

Just bouncing out some ideas..

But ultimately, I think this particular idea as a whole, is a pretty good idea. :)

-Robert

NodePacket

Verified Provider
This almost sounds like Mozilla. All Volunteers but creating applications. I think this is a great idea. With my experience, I'd love to be apart of it. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner