amuck-landowner

Bring on the 6TBs!

FLDataTeK

Verified Provider
$600 is a little pricey...But other than that looks good for some serious mass storage.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Bigger drives, bigger failures.

Still makes sense to use both technologies at the same time, where budget allows ;)  and not just for caching.

kcaj

That's pretty much how I've always felt - I still use 200-500GB drives in raid rather than larger TB drives, mainly due to "Man, if I fill that thing up and it dies on me, I'm going to lose a LOT of stuff".
RAID + Backups is your answer.

Schultz

Probably not wise to use it just yet. Let the technology mature for a bit longer before deploying it on anything critical.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
With your current setup and backups you're very unlikely to lose anything.
lol.  What @Aldryic C'boas is saying is that he prefers to use raid rather than having a large hard drive for the exact reason stated in here.  

Exactly the same thing as what you're saying.  There's no difference.  haha.  

raj

RAID? Bah.  Terabytes? Bah. I'm still running on my 120GB WD 5400rpm PATA drives on my first gen P4 without HT.  :)  I still have an Iomega ZIP drive and disks on my desk LOL

willie

Seagate has a desktop drive for $300:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178520

the enterprise drive is $600.

I'm basically done with hard drives in personal computers.  I use SSD for everything, except I have some external HDD's for backup.  But I'm keeping less and less data at home anyway.  Most of my stuff is on an OVH dedicated server and I'm going to have to get another dedi or some storage VPS's soon.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Seagate has a desktop drive for $300:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822178520

the enterprise drive is $600.

I'm basically done with hard drives in personal computers.  I use SSD for everything, except I have some external HDD's for backup.  But I'm keeping less and less data at home anyway.  Most of my stuff is on an OVH dedicated server and I'm going to have to get another dedi or some storage VPS's soon.
See I utilize my desktop computer as my storage/file computer.  I mean the essential things are backed up to multiple locations and backup VMs, but overall this is my go-to computer for everything (62 GB SSD, 2x 1TB HDD).  Unless I setup something like Samba or whatnot, I feel like moving them off to storage VPSes and dedicated servers might prevent my "instantaneous access" to them.  

willie

My home internet connectivity is fairly slow, so I have no usable way at home to get TB's of data to or from a storage server.  The reason I do most of my storage and computational stuff on a dedi now is that the internet to the dedi is so much faster and I can't easily get the data home anyway.  Also I haven't used a desktop computer in years: too noisy and they consume too much of my living space.  So I splurged and got a 500GB SSD for my laptop after filling some smaller ones and it's great.  There are even 1TB SSD's sort of affordable now (Crucial M550 and Samsung Evo both under $500).  Sooner or later I'll have to colo a box in another DC partly in order to get the data from all the rented servers I'm currently using onto media that I can get my hands on.

I notice OVH claims to offer the 6TB Hitachi helium filled disks for some of their storage servers:

http://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/storage/

They have been listed there for at least a month or two, though I don't know if any are actually deployed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

Raid its not backup, the hole thing could get fucked up for example from the power supply and booth disks are gone for sure.

amuck-landowner