amuck-landowner

Burst.net circling the drain?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So, if I am reading this correctly:

1. Burst is discontinuing customers on dedicated servers.

2. Burst is continuing colo.

3. Bust is LIKELY discontinuing VPS.

4. Bursted is doing this because..... the leasing company wants their gear back?

Burst.net is recovering all those IPs.... They are sitting pretty on 283,136 IPv4 IPs. see:  http://bgp.he.net/AS21788

So.... Let me guess?

Burst / DigiPlus is trying to recover their "investment" by selling off the IPs?

Last edited by a moderator:

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Got this email for my VPS service too, VPS went offline 2 hours before and hasnt been seen now for 5 hours. I don't expect Ill ever see it again (no big loss).

I remember predicting one month for their demise, they outperformed this and lasted two. No big loss, I suspect their only remaining services where those moving slowly or with account credit due to their crappy billing system (and inability of support to refund for their mistakes).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Burst.net the only company that can drive more forums views and posts than a GVH scandal.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
From the looks of it sharktech bought their LA customers?

Sharktech?

EDIT - I should probably explain this post a bit. This isn't a slag at sharktech but more I'm very confused as to why they would be interested in non ddos protection customers. Did they decide to push into the budget non-filtered market? I know I saw a post about them offering in LA now, but it was filtering and not budget priced.

Francisco

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I don't think Shartech is taking over them given I havent received anything about my server, Ill ask Tim for confirmation.

I got this email from BurstNet today, it looks about right - lets play spot the spelling mistake :)

Hello ,

We have great news, we have just reached a deal with Hostwinds.com another provider of VPS services. They have agreed to migrate all active Burst.net vePortal Linux VPS client's over to their infrastructure. They will also be offering all client's a full 30 days of free service on their infrastructure. We want to assure you that all of your data will be transferred 100% intact by the Hostwinds team. Hostwinds has agreed to beat or match all current Burst.net VPS prices.

You will be receiving an email from Hostwinds with your login information to their customer portal. You should receive this email within the next 24 Hours. It is not necessary to wait for this information before completing the steps below. You may complete the below steps before you have received your Hostwinds Customer Portal login.

Hostwinds will be migrating all vePortal accounts over to their infrastructure, however, if you wish to expedite your request, all users who follow the steps outlined below will have their request moved to the front of the que, and their migration will be handled within 72 hours.

1. If you have already received your Hostwinds Portal Login information, then Login to your account

2. Open up a support ticket at the following link:

https://clients.hostwinds.com/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=28
  3. Include "Burst.net Migration" in the Subject of your Ticket

4. Please write out any special considerations you would like for us to make while migrating your services in the message section of the ticket. If you wish to handle your own migration and wish to have your server online with Hostwinds in minutes, then indicate this here, and our provisioning team will have your server fully provisioned within 15 minutes.

5. Please indicate the number of IP addresses you wish to have assigned to your server.
Once the Hostwinds team has received your migration request they will immediately begin work migrating all of your data over to your new server. Please note that due to the high number of requests migrations can take up to 72 hours to fully complete.

Once all of your data is fully migrated, you will be given 30 days of free service with Hostwinds.

If you have any questions at all please direct them to the Hostwinds Team using the link below:

https://clients.hostwinds.com/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

They are also available via live chat on their website at http://www.hostwinds.com

- BurstNET
Given that the L.A VPS I had that was acting as a monitoring proxy went offline over a day ago and hasnt been seen since, I am not holding my breath (or really care). I just kept that VPS alive to cost Burst money (had account credit).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hostwinds ehh?  Not familiar with them.... Whoever writes their blog though, wowzers, they pour on the mass fear/terror.  Every post is about a hack, mass fail, extortion, etc.  Ugly.

The Burst migration to Hostwinds is messed up.  Reads like auto info on customer transfer.  Who knows who has customer information at this point.  Burst original, Burst money squad,  NC datacenter, maybe outsourced support (but they seemed to not provide shit for support) and now Hostwinds.com....

For a bunch of vulture capitalists and an owner with an erection for education uniformity, sure are acting like a bunch of dumb chimpanzees.

Anyone paying Burst at this point, should receive a 30 day ban from the internet.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Have a source for this?  Interesting.
Nope, so.

It looks like sharktech did them a favor to get everyone online but aren't the buyers.

Hostwinds is offering to pick up all the users but they have to signup for new packages as far as I can tell.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
See I thought LA was cost justified with a good paying customer - reason Burst expanded their initially.

Looks like maybe they were chasing the Asian money like so many and that's all it was, considering how easily they are dropping the "asset".

Weird that Shark would be involved and not the buyer... Maybe FDC is the buyer?

Profuse-Jim

Verified Provider
Sharktech isn't picking up Burst LA, they're just announcing their IPs until they shut down.  Burst LA is going down, pull out while you guys can.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Oh I think I get the situation now.

Hostwinds is a big source of SPAM and misbehaving customers/users.... Quite the peer/partner/etc. for Burst.net.

Right now, Hostwinds is beating out ColoCrossing for the top Scarlet Letter position on SenderBase:

http://www.senderbase.org/static/spam/#tab=3

---> Spam Senders by Network Owner for the Last Day

Hostwinds LLC 8.0 -24.3% ↓ 130
ColoCrossing 7.9 -18.5% ↓ 349

Do I see a future corporate hitching in the works?

PieLayer-Harry

Unfortunately this was expected to happen if we have in mind what all bad decisions they had in past year and how that impacted their clients / services / sales / revenue...

amuck-landowner