amuck-landowner

Buying HDD's in USA? Recommendations needed

Raymii

Try to go with server drives instead of desktop drives. Have a few storage servers where Boss and BossBoss wanted to save money by buying WD greens. In 6 months 10 of the 36 failed, caused a few outages. Now replaced all with WD red's, 19 months Göing strong without any failures or bad SMART stats.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Try to go with server drives instead of desktop drives. Have a few storage servers where Boss and BossBoss wanted to save money by buying WD greens. In 6 months 10 of the 36 failed, caused a few outages. Now replaced all with WD red's, 19 months Göing strong without any failures or bad SMART stats.
Wd green is just horrible. Reds are a bit better. Not enterprise though. Depends on your needs.

Increhost

Verified Provider
We had several failures with WD Greens too, for a customer who wanted a very cheap NAS at his office,

he bought a Drobo-FS NAS, and wanted us to manage it.

Long story short, about 3 drives failed, during the time he had the Drobo, then some corruption

occured, then all info lost (not even HDD recovery company could restore it).

Despite the very probably Drobo failure, WD Greens were not good at all.

On the other hand we had a nice Experience with 3TB Seagate Enterprise drives for RAID10 setups in servers.

Cheers!

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
I wasn't looking at the WD greens anyhow but cheers for the info!

We've certainly got a decent list here now to start scouting for some offers anybody know if a bulk discount comes into play with any of them?

It'll be shipped to the US  so no point getting them shipped over to the UK :p

Cheers guys :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:

zim

The Invader
Verified Provider
There are so many places and really depends on the day where you are going to find the best deal

Rob T

Verified Provider
If you are still looking, I'd suggest Seagate Constellation CS series drives.  They are a real enterprise disk, 3 year warranty, and have good performance - real 7200rpm.  Clark at Orange Sky Technologies should be able to hook you up.

Last edited by a moderator:

javaj

Have used NewEgg, Amazon, and Superbiiz. NewEggs shipping rates are usually the lowest for 2 or 3 day delivery. But Amazon can't be beaten if they have a sale and you have Prime.
I have always had really good luck with Amazon, and with Prime its free two day shipping. That and they have nearly everything. I had one defective device a year ago, but I contacted them the same day and they immediately sent me another package overnight and gave me a printed free shipping return label. So its not so bad if you receive something defective, I had a new one that worked delivered the next day. Prime is worth it too if you make a lot of purchases like I do, its with the free two day shipping it has paid for itself over and over again.

Either that or new egg, I've never had bad luck with them either.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
I have 10 WD Greens in my home nas (and 8 other drives of mixed brands). I am yet to see any die and most are more than 2 years old. Although these are on a ram cached raid controller and I am not running a database server off them or anything that would put them under excessive load.

I think it really depends on the batch and the use-case.

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Pretty sure it's use case only, I've got 6 of them bought over the years, all running fine, no excessive loads though

devonblzx

Verified Provider
newegg also literally throws your shit in a box and have a higher failure rate of HDDs than other stores
I've bought 100s of hard drives off newegg and see a very low failure rate.   However, I am not always satisfied with UPS shipping so your problem might be with your UPS route.   I have had a lot more issues with shipping with UPS than FedEx.

Secondly, I have noticed a higher rate of failure (both DOA and after use) with anything other than Seagate ES, WD Black, or WD RE.  Regular seagates, WD blue and green just aren't made to hold up, so if your deliver drops a box, then its likely to do more damage to a blue than a black.

amuck-landowner