amuck-landowner

BuyVM offloaded SQL

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
tl;dr - I hit overtime Wednesday morning, racked up another 51 hours Wed-Fri. I took the weekend off for some much needed rest -_-;

Regular stock (and timely fraud responses) have resumed as of 06h this morning.

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@WebSearchingPro - very well. The latency is a little slow in Vegas from my location but I will be moving it to the Buffalo location as soon as my order is approved and I will see how that is.

Daniel15

Have you found any issues with performance? Offloaded SQL works for me maybe 95% of the time, but the other 5% I get queries on small tables taking much longer than they should:

16-00.23.07.png

And queries/connections that time out, causing sites to hang. PHP sites just get a PHP timeout and eventually eat up every available process in the FPM pool, and I get a "504 Gateway Time-out" with a Mono ASP.NET MVC site).

Originally chose the offloaded SQL since I thought performance would be better, but now I'm considering moving away from it due to the number of connection timeouts. My databases are fairly small and I've got a 1 GB VPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
I ended up moving away from it as well. I am now using two dedicated servers and one is a dedicated database server.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It's known and in the works.

Most of the time it's fine but I'm guessing when users are doing major imports and such it kinda hits the fan.

There's a major upgrade coming to it this month :)

It's also taking part in the SSD upgrades.

clarity

It has been causing me fits for the past few days. PHP timeouts everywhere, and they are linked to the off-loaded SQL. It is still hard to beat for $1 though. I am probably going to get another box and throw MariaDB on it to stop those pesky users from hindering me.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It has been causing me fits for the past few days. PHP timeouts everywhere, and they are linked to the off-loaded SQL. It is still hard to beat for $1 though. I am probably going to get another box and throw MariaDB on it to stop those pesky users from hindering me.

Initially vpsBoard was using BuyVM's offloaded SQL server as well. For $1/mo it's great! However the cost of a 256MB KVM wasn't too much more and that gives me a bit more control over the DB and performance has since been stable and solid.

Daniel15

It's known and in the works.

Most of the time it's fine but I'm guessing when users are doing major imports and such it kinda hits the fan.

There's a major upgrade coming to it this month :)
Great, thanks. I'll probably switch back once performance is stable again :)
MariaDB.

Straight MySQL performed really poorly :(

Francisco
I thought you were using Percona? I remember reading that somewhere.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Yes, we were.

Percona broke their userstats controls, though, so we couldn't track down abuse.

Maria has it working and we see no difference in performance compared to Percona.

Francisco

fahad

Yes, we were.

Percona broke their userstats controls, though, so we couldn't track down abuse.

Maria has it working and we see no difference in performance compared to Percona.

Francisco

Are you still using MariaDB and if so, how is it doing?

amuck-landowner