amuck-landowner

Centarra.com Closing as of September 1, 2015

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Why they not sold the customers to another hoster? Just kick them off and say "goodbye" is not for gentlemen

You're basically saying that you would rather be a monetary asset rather than a valued client.
Yeah I agree on this.   Clients shuffled around as the core asset are meh, how things go, but I am rather not fond of such.  But honestly, customers are the main asset in any business, like it or not.  Exception is R&D heavy companies squatting on patents and licenses for very high level stuff.  Every other company almost is about customers and brand that dictates placement and therefore future customers.

Kudos though to ChrisK for giving nearly a full month to folks.    I am so use to seeing instant closures..

matteob

Verified Provider

You're basically saying that you would rather be a monetary asset rather than a valued client.
Not exactly, is not important if you sold for money, for nuts, for a kiss, but watch on customer side, if you're poor skilled or not had time for a migration do you prefer a mail that force you to move away or receive a mail like:

"hi, we brought the customer base and now are moving you under our direct control, please apologize us for next 12 hours to do the move..." 

Then you will be free to choose if move away or give a try to new company. 

William

pr0
Verified Provider
1.: Open Company

2.: Sign up for ARIN

3.: Sell cheap VPS without any contracts

4.: Acquire more ARIN space

5.: Cancel said VPS after a few months

6.: Sell said IP space at 7$+ per IP, or 6$ when you are desperate

7.: ?????

8.: Move to Hawaii

No, like, seriously, who did not expect that? lol, a typical ChrisK venture, that was clear from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
1.: Open Company

2.: Sign up for ARIN

3.: Sell cheap VPS without any contracts

4.: Acquire more ARIN space

5.: Cancel said VPS after a few months

6.: Sell said IP space at 7$+ per IP, or 6$ when you are desperate

7.: ?????

8.: Move to Hawaii

I thanked this not because it's ChrisK specific, heck he's been around for a long time....  so if anything should have acquired space a long time ago... and no I haven't looked at allocation dates....

I thanked this because there are many companies who did / are doing just this.  Companies with no interest in providing services, no customer support, no intention to be around a year from now.  I do not see these folks getting $6 an IP any time soon.  Really.  Maybe $2-4 tops.  Which if a rental box business with no liabilities and little sales, I guess is alright money to go get high and screw off in a corner for a year.

There is a saying about money easily acquired, it goes away just as easily.  So when guys torch things like this they better not be coming back around.   Cause I'll be around to remind people of who they were and why to avoid.   Take your onetime get easy money scam and run with it.  But when life hits the fan and cash runs dry, don't come back to hosting, cause slaps will happen.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Dear Centarra Clients,

As of September 1st, 2015 all Centarra services will be discontinued. Please backup and move your data off of the services as soon as possible. Any data will not be recoverable after August 31st, 2015.

Everything appears to have gone down 10 days early on the 21st without notice.

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1507430

AS36137 (64.5K IPs now single homed to Amanah, AS40440 (11.3K IPs) still Cogent/TeliaSonera/CubeMotion

joepie91

Dear Centarra Clients,

As of September 1st, 2015 all Centarra services will be discontinued. Please backup and move your data off of the services as soon as possible. Any data will not be recoverable after August 31st, 2015.

AS36137 (64.5K IPs now single homed to Amanah, AS40440 (11.3K IPs) still Cogent/TeliaSonera/CubeMotion
My Centarra VPS in the UK is still up.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Dear Centarra Clients,

64k IPs,   who is buying?

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Dear Centarra Clients,

My Centarra VPS in the UK is still up.
The UK servers are rented so you have until the end of the month.  Everyone who had a server in Dallas is officially fucked since the servers were shut down 11 days early without notice, deracked, and put in storage, and Centarra is claiming it would be too much trouble to give customers access to their data.  From WHT:

Quote said:
Originally Posted by Chris Kondrat

I appreciate you being a +customer for years, unfortunately all the servers are de racked now and access to data is now impossible.

Centarra has hundreds of servers in a storage unit currently , it would take tens of hours to locate the vps node your VpS resides on.. I'm sorry but it's not possible to do this

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1507430&p=9520259#post9520259 
For some reason, Centarra's sudden packing up of its equipment reminded me of a mining company that was forced to pack up its equipment in the Congo :)

Quote said:
On the night of July 30, Banro was forced to pack up its most sensitive equipment and evacuate its Sakima concessions in the face of the latest rebel advances, says Vice-President [xxxx] Kondrat

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

I appreciate you being a +customer for years, unfortunately all the servers are de racked now and access to data is now impossible.

Centarra has hundreds of servers in a storage unit currently , it would take tens of hours to locate the vps node your VpS resides on.. I'm sorry but it's not possible to do this

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1507430&p=9520259#post9520259 

That makes me sad :(

Poor clients, but it does sound like an upstream forcing their hand.

Francisco

OSTKCabal

Verified Provider
That's extremely unfortunate. While clients perhaps should have transferred off earlier, eg soon after the announcement, there are many situations where it's simply not possible or ideal... for example if they couldn't find a suitable replacement provider... so the provider shutting down over a week before the expected shutdown date isn't good. Heart goes out to any businesses/sole proprietorships that resided on their services and I'd be interested to hear a detailed explanation of why this happened.

amuck-landowner