amuck-landowner

CentOS 7

PwnyExpress

@MannDude The biggest change in EL7 is i386 is now considered as a port because of RHEL dropping i386 support. And systemd now replaces the traditional SysV init in EL7.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
We won't see cPanel support for at least 6-8 months if I had to guess, but I'm just glad to finally see the 3.x kernel tree...

eva2000

my virtualbox bridge install shows up as enp0s3 device while my ckvm vps shows up still as eth0 :)

Can't get this running properly with latest VMWare workstation (just testing). It sort of works and does not work at the same time. Runs perfectly on normal hardware, though, so might be incompatible with the VMWare product at this point.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Let's see.  So far I've found the major changes to be:

1.  systemd instead of service

2.  firewalld instead of iptables

3.  ethX naming convention is gone

4.  ifconfig is not installed by default (trying to force you to use ip).  Not a huge deal but can be a little bit of hassle if you're used to ifconfig and don't have networking setup during the install.

5.  grub2 instead of grub

6.  xfs instead of ext4

7.  No more MAKEDEV support

One major improvement seems to be the in place upgrade from 6.5 to 7.0.  I have yet to try it but that is something that has really been needed in the RHEL/CentOS systems.

Seems like a huge change from CentOS6.  I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.  I suppose it is less of a change if users used Fedora 19+ as it seems to be based on stable version of Fedora 19.  Virtuozzo/OpenVZ  are going to need some major changes to support some of the changes, such as xfs and the updated udev.  Ploop and simfs are all based around ext4.

amuck-landowner