Cheap Backup Server HW For Sale

serverian

Verified Provider
HP DL160 G6
Xeon L5520 Quad Core CPU
24GB Memory (3 x 8GB DDR3 1333Mhz ECC)
4 x 3TB Seagate SV.35 SATA3 HDD
P410 + 256MB Memory RAID Controller

You can buy more ram at 8GB/$60 at ebay and buy another CPU for $25 at ebay and make this thing a VPS node.

Located in Dallas, TX

$450 and I'll transfer the server to your account with Cloud Shards and you can either keep it there or get it packed and shipped. They'll pack and ship it for $70 + shipping fees.

As you see here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=3tb+sv.35&_sop=15

Only the disks as used are $145*4 = $580. You'll get a server and disks for cheaper than that.

willie

Wow, good deal, glad someone bought it before I saw it, so it wasn't there to tempt me.  Any idea how much would it have cost to keep hosting it at Cloudshards, as a personal storage server (i.e. 1 IP and modest bandwidth, not a VPS node)?  Are these SV.35 disks ok for general purpose storage, as they're intended for video?  I'm asking in case something like this comes up again.  Thanks.

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:

serverian

Verified Provider
Wow, good deal, glad someone bought it before I saw it, so it wasn't there to tempt me.  Any idea how much would it have cost to keep hosting it at Cloudshards, as a personal storage server (i.e. 1 IP and modest bandwidth, not a VPS node)?  Are these SV.35 disks ok for general purpose storage, as they're intended for video?  I'm asking in case something like this comes up again.  Thanks.

Paul
You can get a plan for $50-70/month I think or cheaper. Depending on the BW.

SV.35's are good for personal backups. Most people use them in production for VPS nodes as well.

Oktay

willie

Thanks.  I'm slightly regretting missing this, since it looks like available offers from places like OVH actually seem to be getting worse, despite how disk costs have fallen.  I'm guessing though that adding the second processor might kick up power consumption enough to increase the colo cost. 

concerto49

Verified Provider
Thanks.  I'm slightly regretting missing this, since it looks like available offers from places like OVH actually seem to be getting worse, despite how disk costs have fallen.  I'm guessing though that adding the second processor might kick up power consumption enough to increase the colo cost. 
That's what it comes down to. Having said that, if you want to rent a backup dedicated server, feel free to get in contact with us. Might have some other custom plans for you or you can go with Backupsy :p

serverian

Verified Provider
I have a big backup server, too if you are interested: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1315665

willie

I have a big backup server, too if you are interested: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1315665
Thanks, that's pretty impressive, unfortunately bigger than I can use anytime soon. :)

That's what it comes down to. Having said that, if you want to rent a backup dedicated server, feel free to get in contact with us. Might have some other custom plans for you or you can go with Backupsy :p
Heh, Backupsy looks like a great service, but unless the storage is dirt cheap, I'm better off with a dedicated server since I occasionally like to actually crunch the data (multi-day stretches of 100% cpu) rather than just store it. I currently have an OVH SP1 (2012 version) with 2x2TB and am a few months away from having to clean up considerably or else look for more storage.  In the very long run I probably want a colo box in my area, so I can take the hard drives home, but for now I'm keeping an eye on dedicated rentals.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Thanks, that's pretty impressive, unfortunately bigger than I can use anytime soon. :)

Heh, Backupsy looks like a great service, but unless the storage is dirt cheap, I'm better off with a dedicated server since I occasionally like to actually crunch the data (multi-day stretches of 100% cpu) rather than just store it. I currently have an OVH SP1 (2012 version) with 2x2TB and am a few months away from having to clean up considerably or else look for more storage. In the very long run I probably want a colo box in my area, so I can take the hard drives home, but for now I'm keeping an eye on dedicated rentals.
Send us a sales ticket with your specs and we'll see what we can do for you in rentals.

amuck-landowner