amuck-landowner

Cheap Dedicated Server

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I bought one of those HFBServers Atom servers. Seems to be at Dacentec, and it's Not Terrible, especially considering the price.

Bench.sh output:

Setup was manual and took about 3 hours-ish yesterday morning. I asked a question after it was set up via support ticket and got a response from a native-english-speaking staff member in under an hour. 

I'm currently setting it up to be used as a private torrent tracker aggregate seeder.

Someone on IRC (rm I think?) mentioned that OVH has better disk I/O, but I don't intend to do even 30 mbyte/sec continuous writes, and I didn't have to deal with OVH's shitty support. Works for me.
Totally not tooting my own horn here but I'm going to go ahead and toot my own horn.

I have 50 mbyte/sec.

365Networks

Those are actually really great network speeds, especially to Singapore/Japan. Would like to see how long it lasts like that.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I bought one of those HFBServers Atom servers. Seems to be at Dacentec, and it's Not Terrible, especially considering the price.
That was a really stand out offer.   I just am weary of the network down there.

Just so other folks realize, Dacentec was bought in July by the same datacenter owner that owns the Buffalo facility where Colocrossing runs it infamous hosting hive.   

Centrilogic is the name of the company.

Corporate site: http://www.centrilogic.com/

Link to press on the acquisition:

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/centrilogic-acquires-web-host-and-data-center-operator-dacentec

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Bought one of those cheap atom servers, I'm only getting 15mbyte/sec
Did you run same sorts of tests @Damian did to determine that speed?

Any idea of what make / model of drive you have.  Compare notes and let's try to eliminate things.

Damian

Verified Provider
Well, I was going to log in and get my drive model number via hdparm, and the server doesn't seem to be up or network accessible....

Damian

Verified Provider
Hmm, hadn't even sent in a ticket yet, and got this email from them. THE DEVIL, THE DEVIL.

rfo-hfb.png

I'm going to tell them GL;HF on getting Dacentec to send notification before nulling, but at least someone's alive on the other end.

Anyway, the drive model that I got is: HDS7250SASUN500G, which is a SATA2 500gb Hitachi Deskstar that Hitachi built and sold to SUN to use for, it appears, desktop computers. So not sure how a Sun drive got into my Atom-powered server, but whatever....

(edit) Found the datasheet for that model, Hitachi's application expectation appears to have been near-line storage. Looks like 31mb/sec is within the expected performance of the drive: http://www.hgst.com/tech/techlib.nsf/techdocs/C5C895A725AC713E862571D5004E4EDB/$file/Deskstar_E7K500_DS.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

That was a really stand out offer.   I just am weary of the network down there.

Just so other folks realize, Dacentec was bought in July by the same datacenter owner that owns the Buffalo facility where Colocrossing runs it infamous hosting hive.   

Centrilogic is the name of the company.

Corporate site: http://www.centrilogic.com/

Link to press on the acquisition:

http://www.thewhir.com/web-hosting-news/centrilogic-acquires-web-host-and-data-center-operator-dacentec
Thought CC owned Buffalo?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Thought CC owned Buffalo?
Colocrossing doesn't own anything (alright they may own some old servers and gear which leases have been paid off on).

Like many other provider at scale, they are renting space in existing data centers.  That's to say they have their own racks and perhaps if the location is popular enough, they may have cage space. 

In Buffalo they have a number of racks. Certainly enough for a cage.  But nowhere near enough to run a real datacenter they would own themselves.

Centrilogic is their landlord.

ultimatehostings

Verified Provider
I'm looking for a relatively cheap dedicated server. I'm looking for a atom server with about 4gb ram, not looking to spend too much.

Offers?

Needs: about 4gb ram, 50gb hard drive minimum

I'm looking for below $20/month.
Considering your budget OVH and online.net can most likely be your options else you can go for a VPS.

HostingAbove

Verified Provider
Seems VolumeDrive lowered all their dedicated server pricing. I'm not brave enough to go with them, considering the recent weeks of downtime they recently had for the migration. $19.95 gets you a Dual Core server w/ 4GB of RAM w/ 8,000GB of Bandwidth. Cannot go wrong for the price.

Good Luck!

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Considering your budget OVH and online.net can most likely be your options else you can go for a VPS.
I've found my kimsufi to be a great place to run Vuze.  I don't use it for more than that, but I've had several boxes there and they've all been fine.

Support is monosyllabic but fortunately they have a high degree of self-service automation.

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
Seems VolumeDrive lowered all their dedicated server pricing. I'm not brave enough to go with them, considering the recent weeks of downtime they recently had for the migration. $19.95 gets you a Dual Core server w/ 4GB of RAM w/ 8,000GB of Bandwidth. Cannot go wrong for the price.

Good Luck!
Volumedrive has went all out, looks like a liqudation sale.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Maybe vD will update their website:

"Our new world-class data center (FL)"

That's what?  3 datacenters ago :)

slider3.jpg

Echelon

Verified Provider
Best I can recommend considering your budget and otherwise is to go the route of VD. That being said and considering the recent issues with VD, i'd seriously suggest making sure of two things: 1) Don't run anything mission critical. Honestly, if it's mission critical, raise your budget and go with a provider that you can trust not to fall off the face of the earth with your data, money, and server. 2) Keep pristine backups. If you're going to trust a company such as VD or otherwise considering their track record, you may be best off keeping everything you have on there backed up and up to date at all times for if/when it does all disappear. This way, if it falls off the face of the earth, you're not scrambling to try and get your data.

marythomas

If you are looking for a reliable Dedicated and VPS Hosting company that can provide quality web hosting services that suits you then I can say you are at the right place. You will find a lot of web hosting service providers on the Google SERP. You have to do research on google to get affordable and reliable web hosting service provider for your website. There are various types of web hosting services offered by web hosting companies, you need to select from them according to your needs.

amuck-landowner