Cheap dedicated server

Discussion in 'Service Requests' started by iamthepizza, May 5, 2017.

1. WasNotWSS

WasNotWSS Member

May 5, 2017
    WalkTheDinosaur
    Fair point. :)

I was just looking at Turnkeys' former $20 colo from last black friday- which might actually work for my needs- I've got an HP Elitebook 8640 that I'd love to colo (and cut my marginal rental expenses), but I'm not willing to pay Joe $50/mo for that when I can rent a better machine for far less. Any suggestions for someone who'd let me do a redneck colo?

2. ParkInHost

ParkInHost Member Verified Provider

Dec 14, 2014
  3. Vovaze

Vovaze New Member

Feb 16, 2018
    You can visit our website and links on different social media for more information and help

4. Servers4You

Servers4You Member Verified Provider

Mar 26, 2015
    S4Y
    10 bucks is extremely cheap for 1Gbps burstable uplink with that specification - it wouldn't even cover the cost of the machine itself

Let alone if someone could offer it for that, I would never take it. In my experience, cheap & cheerful doesn't come with good service value (dead support, sketchy uplink, incorrect configurations [making the server unusable], unannounced billing for overages that you were not aware of etc.).

I do agree with others on this thread that a dedicated server wouldn't be the best idea for something like this & a VPS would be better suited - anything under 16GB RAM/Memory I would recommend getting a VPS or Cloud Server. I would be looking at $6-$8 USD for each GB of RAM, $4-$6 USD for each 10GB SSD ($2-$4 for HDD) & $4-$6 Per CPU Core, that in my mind would be classed as a good reliable host.