Choopa sends out Vultr to drown in the DigitalOcean

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
So Choopa has dropped a new product called Vultr.com, it's attempt to compete directly with DigitalOcean.

A side-by-side comparison of vultr.com and digitialocean.com show a lot of similarities.  A total ripoff if I may say so myself.

The bottom end package 512MB, 20GB disk and 1TB transit is an identical $5 from each company.   The similarities remain across all the other plans, a wholesale ripoff by Choopa, aka Vultr.com...  Only difference is Choopa/Vultr undercuts DigitalOcean by $5 here and $10 there depending on the plan.

This has to be one of the worst named and highly ripped off like-brands I've ever seen.  

What do other folks think?  Interesting seeing Choopa competing with VPS companies now --- companies they until now have sold a decent number of servers and colo to....

kaniini

Beware the bunny-rabbit!
Verified Provider
I'm not terribly worried about it.  Gimped APIs and being strongly in the DigitalOcean space means the type of customers I work with aren't going to be using it.

that said: it is amusing that someone else is demonstrating there isn't anything at all magical about DigitalOcean's business model by replicating it in tons of locations.

Last edited by a moderator:

serverian

Verified Provider
Vultr is not thin provisioned RAID5 like DO. I think that pretty much sums up the difference between them.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
It is indeed a rippoff but the locations are not bad at all:

(EU) Frankfurt, DE fra-de-ping.vultr.com
(EU) Amsterdam, NL ams-nl-ping.vultr.com
(EU) Paris, France par-fr-ping.vultr.com
(EU) London, UK lon-gb-ping.vultr.com
New York / New Jersey nj-us-ping.vultr.com
Chicago, Illinois il-us-ping.vultr.com
Atlanta, Georgia ga-us-ping.vultr.com
Seattle, Washington wa-us-ping.vultr.com
Dallas, Texas tx-us-ping.vultr.com
(Asia) Tokyo, Japan hnd-jp-ping.vultr.com
Los Angeles, California lax-ca-us-ping.vultr.com
(AU) Sydney, Australia syd-au-ping.vultr.com

And there is free DDoS:

Note: Primary locations include free DDOS protection
Primay Location
New York / New Jersey
Primay Location
Chicago, Illinois
Primay Location
(EU) Amsterdam, NL

But only 4 OS templates:

Code:
Operating Systems:
CentOS 6 x64
Ubuntu 12.04 x64
Ubuntu 12.10 x64
Ubuntu 13.10 x64

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
What a horrible name.

Ask me  later, after I sleep what that 'new digitalocean competitor' is.... I'll have forgotten it.

Zigara

I decided to try them out and am shocked.

I signed up for an account and logged in and was greeted with:

JSnrZSC.png

kYsFYEt.png

That is not my virtual machine, nor is that my closed ticket. The billing information page also shows a part of the person's VISA number.

I had a friend sign up and he got 2 different vm's and their support tickets as well.

BeastVM_Aaron

I saw lots of threads about digitalocean's life time.. It seems what they told is going to happen :)

imperio

I decided to try them out and am shocked.

I signed up for an account and logged in and was greeted with:

JSnrZSC.png

kYsFYEt.png

That is not my virtual machine, nor is that my closed ticket. The billing information page also shows a part of the person's VISA number.

I had a friend sign up and he got 2 different vm's and their support tickets as well.
Vultr and gameservers.com are using same locations.If they are using also same billing database that's an epic fail.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Whoa daddy!  Seeing other folks tickets and payment info.   That's epic #failing.

I'll wait until the dust clears on this offer.   They were doubling your money, but heck, that might mean someone else's account/money from what we are seeing :)

rm_

I signed up and not seeing anyone's servers, payment info or tickets. Maybe they fixed it now?

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Nice locations, lame rip-off of DO design, horrible pixelated/distorted "limited promo" banner. Et cetera. I have not deployed any server with them yet (if I ever will). Ya, epic #fail with regard of seeing other people's billing information and tickets, but I did not get any of that. Maybe somebody can see my information now :lol:

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Slightly better than DO, but still no where near like what a 'real cloud' should be, no automatic failover, no snapshots or such, only two OS choices.. Non primary locations being single homed. Not amazing by any stretch of the imagination.