amuck-landowner

Chromebook, yes or no?

trewq

Verified Provider
I've been debating if it's worth getting a Chromebook. I already have a laptop and desktop, I just feel I need something in between however I don't want a tablet.

I need it to be usable almost instantly, browse the web, 10-11" screen and have good battery life.

For those of you that use Chromebooks, what model do you have and does it fit your needs and would it fit mine?

Jack

I really wouldn't I bought one last year, the only part of it I have used is the 100GB of Google storage.

If you plan on using Java for IPMI good luck, SSH keys are a pain in the arse on them.

You can't run Skype, any IRC client or RDP client ect on them which kinda sucks.

Get a cheap netbook and install Ubuntu.

Leyton

Verified Provider
I use the HP Chromebook 11, which I really love far more than I expected I would.

My aim was to buy an inexpensive (but good looking, and nice to use) laptop to carry around the city, have on me to travel with, and just generally "not care about". Ultimately if it got stolen or lost, it's a cloud based machine which only cost £120 to buy. It fit the bill perfectly.

But since then, the thing has really impressed me - I've used it far more regularly than my Windows laptop (my desktop PC is my main computer), and it is really well built for the price point.

For me, I don't really like the whole "tablet computing" thing - the majority of my time on a computer is spent either using it as a Netflix-only device, or writing on it a lot (letters/posts/email/programming). A tablet only filled half of that need to my satisfaction.

It surprised me at the quality of some of the online apps around to program on, and as a Google Apps user already, there was no "transitioning" to GMail and Drive, so that wasn't a problem either.

For browsing-only use, I think its the perfect device, and highly recommend it - especially if a tablet doesn't cut it for you.

I'll describe myself through this anecdote: I bought a MacBook at the end of 2013. Loved the feel, and OSX grew on me. But after 7 days I assessed the cost, compared performance with my Windows laptop, and took it back into Apple for a refund. I don't see the point in buying tech for the sake of it. So, if there was something I didn't like about the Chromebook, it'd've gone back, given that it isn't something I use 100% of the time.

Leyton

Verified Provider
I really wouldn't I bought one last year, the only part of it I have used is the 100GB of Google storage.

If you plan on using Java for IPMI good luck, SSH keys are a pain in the arse on them.

You can't run Skype, any IRC client or RDP client ect on them which kinda sucks.

Despite my above post - the lack for Java can be an issue in this line of work. But, (I don't know about IRC) there are RDP clients for it which have worked well for me, and Skype can now be done online via Outlook.com.

I forgot to mention in the previous reply that I have side-loaded Ubuntu on the device; but I rarely use it - even though it is usable.

Though, I went into ChromeOS with open eyes, and knew what to expect, so it wasn't a shock when I booted the Chromebook for the first time.

Jack

Despite my above post - the lack for Java can be an issue in this line of work. But, (I don't know about IRC) there are RDP clients for it which have worked well for me, and Skype can now be done online via Outlook.com.

I forgot to mention in the previous reply that I have side-loaded Ubuntu on the device; but I rarely use it - even though it is usable.

Though, I went into ChromeOS with open eyes, and knew what to expect, so it wasn't a shock when I booted the Chromebook for the first time.
Did you say you could use Netflix on it? I tried and it wanted Silverlight installing.

Leyton

Verified Provider
Did you say you could use Netflix on it? I tried and it wanted Silverlight installing.
Yep, no problems with Netflix. First time (if I remember rightly), it sends you to Google to have your device automatically verified, then I assume Netflix has some kind of DRM-circumvention agreement in place with Google after verification.

It just worked from the off.

Last edited by a moderator:

trewq

Verified Provider

Thanks for that. I have a laptop and desktop for all of that stuff, it would be more for emails and web.

Which one did you get?

@Leyton Thank you. That's the exact thing I was looking for. I know what to expect from ChromeOS so I think it should be ok. What model do you have?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'd probably rather just have a tablet or a netbook. Actually, I don't really care for touch screen devices that much anyway so I'd go for the netbook. Would be nice to have a proper keyboard (albeit small) and not have to download apps to do basic things.

Linux (Or Windows) netbook and just install the normal things you would need on it that you already have on your full powered machine at home, at work, or wherever. No new learning curve. No frustration. Just a good ol', tiny laptop. :)

trewq

Verified Provider
Linux (Or Windows) netbook and just install the normal things you would need on it that you already have on your full powered machine at home, at work, or wherever. No new learning curve. No frustration. Just a good ol', tiny laptop. :)
I was thinking about that but I can't find anything with the same weight/battery life/cost ratio. The main thing what puts me off netbooks is I had one of the first Asus EEE (It's actually sitting in it's case beside me). When I think of netbooks I automatically think heavy with short battery life, I know this has changed now.

I am willing to take suggestions if anyone has any.

trewq

Verified Provider
A Chromebook is just a netbook with Chrome OS.
That's what appeals to me though, fast start time and simple UI. This would be used as something to take to work to use quickly and sitting next to my bed to use quickly.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I was thinking about getting one of the Chromebooks too.

Does anyone know which one might be the best?

HP? Samsung?

Leyton

Verified Provider
Thanks for that. I have a laptop and desktop for all of that stuff, it would be more for emails and web.

Which one did you get?

@Leyton Thank you. That's the exact thing I was looking for. I know what to expect from ChromeOS so I think it should be ok. What model do you have?
I picked the HP Chromebook 11 because it's a little bigger than netbooks of the past, and has the build quality of the plastic MacBooks (which I always thought was pretty good).

google-hp-chromebook-11-hands-on-overall-540x334.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

clownjugglar

Make sure you look into ARM vs x86. The ARM one (first gen Samsung) ran much slower and ran hotter than the new Haswell Celeron one I have now. Sometimes when I was streaming it would overheat and shut itself off. I ended up selling it to a friend who uses it just as a portable Google Docs device and he has no issues with it, so there's that.

There might be other architecture limitations as well, especially if you want to dual boot some linux.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
I've been debating if it's worth getting a Chromebook. I already have a laptop and desktop, I just feel I need something in between however I don't want a tablet.

I need it to be usable almost instantly, browse the web, 10-11" screen and have good battery life.

For those of you that use Chromebooks, what model do you have and does it fit your needs and would it fit mine?
I have the Acer C720 - $200 USD, 11.6 inch screen, as much as 10 hours of battery life, and boots in seconds. It's extremely portable but can still stand being thrown around a bit (I know) - an excellent on-the-go laptop. Like all Chromebooks, it's made for browsing the web, and if you look around for the right sites, there's very few things it can't do.

I'm not sure what @Jack is getting at - the Acer is an excellent model. The C710 wasn't great, but the C720 is. I've not had trouble with SSH keys, just put your keys in the "Downloads" folder, press Ctrl+Alt+T, type ssh, press enter, type key [keyfilename], press enter, then enter host, user, and port if needed and connect. 

trewq

Verified Provider
I have the Acer C720 - $200 USD, 11.6 inch screen, as much as 10 hours of battery life, and boots in seconds. It's extremely portable but can still stand being thrown around a bit (I know) - an excellent on-the-go laptop. Like all Chromebooks, it's made for browsing the web, and if you look around for the right sites, there's very few things it can't do.

I'm not sure what @Jack is getting at - the Acer is an excellent model. The C710 wasn't great, but the C720 is. I've not had trouble with SSH keys, just put your keys in the "Downloads" folder, press Ctrl+Alt+T, type ssh, press enter, type key [keyfilename], press enter, then enter host, user, and port if needed and connect.
Thank you, I think I'm convinced now. Time to go to the shop and have a look at the build quality.

RLT

Bought a Samsung for my wife for Xmass. It plays Netflix about 12 hours a day. She recharges it when it dies or I tell her to check the battery. 

Didn't have any problems with Netflix on it logged in to my account and it just worked.I use it some for short articles when I wake up at night. Google Docs allows me to transition from machine to machine. 

Personally I've gotten to the point that I detest trying to type more then a short short short forum reply on a tablet. If I buy anything for about town use it'll probably be a Chromebook. 

amuck-landowner