amuck-landowner

CI & Deployment System

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
We are looking to make a change in our development process. Namely moving from a manual "check the CI system" to something that is more integrated into the deployment and development process. We previously used scrutinizer-ci but it does not meet our needs in this area.

I have applied for a trial of Atlassian Bamboo, does anyone have any other recommendations? Of course the language of development is PHP and SCM git.

It should at a minimum have a hiphop vm PHP validator and phpunit test runner.

Last edited by a moderator:

shunny

Jenkins CI is good. You can customize it to your own development flow. We used Jenkins heavily at my old company, it was pretty damn good. 

Adduc

We've been using Phing (two primary targets defined for a quick dev 'build' and a full build on commit through the CI system) along with Jenkins (only build step is running phing, post-build publish docs, analyze code coverage, etc.), and it has worked fairly well. Jenkins allows builds to be created automatically using hooks on push/commit/etc. in git (and mercurial).

I haven't gotten anything fully automated in terms of deployment yet. We prefer to run database migration scripts manually, so it's been a two step process in running database migration scripts and a git update in a production push. Still, it's pretty painless.

splitice

Verified Provider
Thanks Adduc and shunny, Ill try Jenkins next (possibly with phing, need to read-up first). Bamboo on demand is not really meeting my needs easily yet.

I still welcome any further recommendations.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
For CI and deployments Jenkins (hudson) owns the market right out of its own grown ecosystem.

If Jenkins is not able to do it there is a plugin for the gap.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Hydra is very cool, but probably only maximally useful if you're already drinking the Nix/NixOS cool-aid elsewhere. Which you may want to consider doing ;).

splitice

Verified Provider
Hydra is very cool, but probably only maximally useful if you're already drinking the Nix/NixOS cool-aid elsewhere. Which you may want to consider doing ;).
"NixOS is a research project" hmm. Thanks anyway.

It looks like Jenkins is the way to go.

dano

We used hudson for awhile at a job - otherwise, haven't done too much CI with other projects, wish I could assist more.

Just remembered -- we were looking at switching to Jenkins, after fussing with some strange Hudson stuff(once I saw the site I remembered) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

shunny

Jenkins is awesome with the amount of plugins and a large community around it you can find almost any plugin you want. It's easy to deploy and easy to configure. :)

splitice

Verified Provider
Does anyone know of a plugin or tutorial for utilizing Facebooks HipHop VM (HHVM) for a code check?

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Does anyone know of a plugin or tutorial for utilizing Facebooks HipHop VM (HHVM) for a code check?
I don't think you need any plugin.

HHVM is a PHP runtime so you just have to select the correct paths to run php inside of HHVM.

amuck-landowner