amuck-landowner

CloudAtCost Oversold, Underpriced, What to do? Launch new "Feature"

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I'd understand if this was a free service, but really? Paying "lifetime" customers?
They've done a few models as far as I know.

First was like $1 per month on the smallest plan.

Then they offered it at annual reduced cost pre paid.

Then they rolled out $35 lifetime.

I never saw a free offer.  Unsure if they did such.

GreenHostBox

Verified Provider
They've done a few models as far as I know.

First was like $1 per month on the smallest plan.

Then they offered it at annual reduced cost pre paid.

Then they rolled out $35 lifetime.

I never saw a free offer.  Unsure if they did such.
I doubt they'll come up with a free offer since lifetime VPS is already troubling enough. 

zed

It's cheap lifetime vps that are probably hugely under-utilized, seems like a spark of genius to spin them down if unused. Interesting redefining of the word "terminate" there though, way to be dramatic.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's cheap lifetime vps that are probably hugely under-utilized, seems like a spark of genius to spin them down if unused. Interesting redefining of the word "terminate" there though, way to be dramatic.
Well let's think about this rationally.

Say I order a VOIP line and pay for a year.  Then 3 months in I decide to make a call.  No dialtone, call won't go through, etc.  I then have to go to support and determine this inactivity thing booted me.  Did they render the services under the agreement in place at the time I bought?

I'd call that terminating my active services as they kill / close / etc. the active container and this is the default setting.

Big picture, wait and see if this "feature" shows up now or ever in any of their pre-sales literature.   I doubt it will.  It's a scam to maximize oversold ratio.

I know some will say, but yo' fault fo' missin' da email.  Yeah, right  real businesses don't slide stuff in randomly via email.   Tech companies recent decade though are notoriously scammy like that.

More interesting is I bought one to test start of this year.  Went to check it, and it wasn't running.  So whether or not they've been doing this, meh.  Certainly haven't been restarting stuff post fails/reboots/etc. which is moderately unappealing to me.

souen

I haven't had this problem so far ... just checked and server should still be in normal mode after setting it two days ago. When it's in safe mode there's a yellow "!" sign next to the vps name. Will see if it stays on after a week.

Can't recommend them currently, service had degraded over the past 2-3 months in terms of dd and network uptime. I put a blog on it (which has barely any visitors) and most times I check it's online, so for a personal project or similar it works, I guess.

switsys

I've had two 512MB VMs with them for about a year now.
The total amount that I've paid for them is $29.50.

So they've paid for themselves already.

They also do what's expected of them perfectly.

And I had no problem whatsoever switching from "Safe Mode" to "Normal Mode" and they're staying in the latter.

amuck-landowner