amuck-landowner

cloudflare free vs pro

winnervps

Verified Provider
Does anybody know or experience in using a PRO version of cloudflare?

It seems I can't find the the differences between the FREE and PRO version, except for these:

1. SSL (it seems my personal web doesn't need that thing)
  2. WAF (Cpanel also has a Comodo WAF plugin)
  3. Real time stat (well.....don't need it in such hurry)
So I thought it would be good to upgrade to PRO, but if the features are the same as Free, why should I?

I only need Cloudflare for caching and speed. What do you suggest?

5rg025

Last edited by a moderator:

ModyDev

CloudFlare Free Doesn't include the Web Application firewall which is the main feature for Pro version also CloudFlare Pro will give your site better caching and speed.

In my case if i want to upgrade a free cloudflare plan, i will pick the business plan which will give me advanced ddos protection and better caching or i will stick with the free plan.

GIANT_CRAB

If you're running a personal blog and the site is quite popular, you should use Pro. Pro includes better traffic analytic through CF, WAF and slightly faster loading speed.

Else, just stick with the free version.

AlphaNine_Vini

Verified Provider
Yes. If you are expecting a lots of potential visitors and conversions to your websites. Then pro is a better deal .

bigcat

Verified Provider
Does anybody know or experience in using a PRO version of cloudflare?

It seems I can't find the the differences between the FREE and PRO version, except for these:

1. SSL (it seems my personal web doesn't need that thing)
  2. WAF (Cpanel also has a Comodo WAF plugin)
  3. Real time stat (well.....don't need it in such hurry)
So I thought it would be good to upgrade to PRO, but if the features are the same as Free, why should I?

I only need Cloudflare for caching and speed. What do you suggest?
Make sure you try free version first. Test all option namely CDN only, CDN + basic optimization, CDN + full optimization.

For a reason unknown to me, CloudFlare optimization tend to break certain random component on my websites. Mostly blank white pages problem.

I didn't have the time to diagnose further at that time on the root cause. So just keep that in mind.

winnervps

Verified Provider
Make sure you try free version first. Test all option namely CDN only, CDN + basic optimization, CDN + full optimization.

For a reason unknown to me, CloudFlare optimization tend to break certain random component on my websites. Mostly blank white pages problem.

I didn't have the time to diagnose further at that time on the root cause. So just keep that in mind.
Somehow I just found the same as you ;( Some items didn't show up properly.

In cloudflare page, they didn't tell that the PRO will cache or load faster than the Free? or is it me who "feel" it?

I had a website of 10k visitors per day, a lot of attacks ;) Do i need to stick on the free? or upgrade?

RTGHM

Most people use cloudflare just to protect against denial of services.

I use cloudflare just to speed up the website, since connections from countries like Canada//US -> Bulgaria isn't the fastest.

If live stats is really an issue, there are a ton of free online opensource tools to show you live stats.

Ahelbuo.png

For example, that's my website under cloudflare, 67,319 regular traffic. According to my live monitoring tool, we're getting about 15 hits a minute in our peak hours, each stay on average of 8 minutes. 

k0nsl

Bad Goy
A stupid question, perhaps, but is that statistics for the last 24 hours, or over a 30 day period?

[edit]

Ah, seems to be 30 days. Silly me!  :blush: 

Most people use cloudflare just to protect against denial of services.

I use cloudflare just to speed up the website, since connections from countries like Canada//US -> Bulgaria isn't the fastest.

If live stats is really an issue, there are a ton of free online opensource tools to show you live stats.

Ahelbuo.png

For example, that's my website under cloudflare, 67,319 regular traffic. According to my live monitoring tool, we're getting about 15 hits a minute in our peak hours, each stay on average of 8 minutes. 

RTGHM

Just another quick two-cents, if you want to just see live stats, wordpress plugins are good if you're making yourself a blog. See:

NQdMyqX.png

I just installed it about 10 minutes ago to test.

97ju0H8.png

bigcat

Verified Provider
Somehow I just found the same as you ;( Some items didn't show up properly.
In my case I'm able to pinpoint the problem to Rogers in Canada. They somehow don't play well with CloudFlare optimization. Though I don't know the detail.

bigcat

Verified Provider
Check out how many crawlers/bots I have for one of my domains (which is on one of their paid plans):
My site barely changed and I have 50k crawler/bot last month. So I think your figure wasn't that surprising for actively modified site.

I use free plan.

2PJ3392.png

winnervps

Verified Provider
@bigcat

wow....you had lots of "threat" there /omg

@RTGHM

So, I saw you have "huge" traffic, as well. so what do you suggest for me: PAID or stick to FREE? (PS: I don's use the live stats. I might use something else)

RTGHM

@bigcat

wow....you had lots of "threat" there /omg

@RTGHM

So, I saw you have "huge" traffic, as well. so what do you suggest for me: PAID or stick to FREE? (PS: I don's use the live stats. I might use something else)
Well, I use the free plan. I don't get denial of service attacks, I rarely get over 100 threats a month. Cloudflare stops potential threats, make them do a captcha verification..Failure results in being blocked.

So, I'd say stick with the free plan. Don't expect the free plan to stop ddos attacks though.

winnervps

Verified Provider
Well, I use the free plan. I don't get denial of service attacks, I rarely get over 100 threats a month. Cloudflare stops potential threats, make them do a captcha verification..Failure results in being blocked.

So, I'd say stick with the free plan. Don't expect the free plan to stop ddos attacks though.
Ok @RTGHM. I think I will follow you. Stick to Free as I don't see any "necessary" benefit to the Pro Plan. Thanks

amuck-landowner