amuck-landowner

Considering the recent issues at LET/B, where can I find your disclosures of business relationships?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I would love to see something like this on an "About Us" page somewhere, just my 2 cents.
Great idea!

Topic 2:

LET: Hosted by CC, run by employee of CVPS.

VPSboard: Hosted by BuyVM, run by employee of URPad.

So this is all about who you like, or do not like? Because the only difference is the name of the companies.
I see your point, but you have to understand that I never used this place to plug URPad. The only times I have said the name of the company I work for is in response to something like this. I've got less than two weeks left there, afterwards I'll likely get another job in the industry. I've got some leads with a few companies including an EIG brand. If, for example, I get hired on at this EIG brand. Will you be under the impression that because I work and make my money as an employee of said brand, that therefor this site is negatively associated with it? I love this industry and will continue to be a part of it, I just hope people don't think that someone me, as 'just an employee' would feel so compelled to spam my employer on here. As far as I am concerned, I do my job and clock out. I'm not a high level employee, I'm just a dude. I enjoy what I do but outside of the hours I am scheduled to work I feel no reason to do more 'work'. This is a personal project, it'll stay that way.

And yes, BuyVM hosts this. I'm not for sure if I should be more open about this or stop commenting on it. If I am more open about it, the community will think I am just spouting an advertisement for BuyVM. If I do not respond when someone mentions it, I don't want people to think I'm keeping quiet. I'm a paying customer of theirs, pre-paid for 3 months. The site had to be hosted somewhere. They fit my budget and Fran was kind enough to get vpsBoard moved from my RocketVPS when it was getting attacked onto my KVM that I had purchased from him well a week before.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Don't take the figure as fact.

Joel threw it out there in a convo so who knows what real numbers were in the end. Given the timelines Alex gave, Joel sold the site when it was still doing $500 - $800/m in gross profit. Getting a $50k offer off that? That's good money for something he had invested a few thousand into given a high charge out rate for his own worked hours.

Francisco
Gross profit  as in all the money he took in or after all his costs.

By the ad spot rates, $10k a month - 25% for BuySellAds commission. = $7500 a month.

If Joel was making total what was claimed, something was wrong.  Depends though on when  he had the site.  Feb-March 2012 as maybe 1 month or something could see bad income like that.  Thereafter, no way.

That's some serious cash for sitting there commandoing Liam and moderators around.

I'd like for the original lowend Admin to come back and chime in on things :)  He seemed like a right intentioned guy.  Bet he wouldn't be happy about the ad ramp up and then the mass sell off.

PS: Even both sites combined at $7500 income is pitifully low.  But I don't believe the traffic since CC got the site is genuine.  Ask the other hosts making offers about their sales.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Honestly, this website has to be hosted somewhere, if not BuyVM then another VPS company. Even if he colocated a server it would be hosted in a datacenter that most likely sells servers and/or VPSs. The primary goal for any admin is to not go bankrupt so cutting costs by purchasing from an LEB provider is the best method.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Honestly, this website has to be hosted somewhere, if not BuyVM then another VPS company. Even if he colocated a server it would be hosted in a datacenter that most likely sells servers and/or VPSs. The primary goal for any admin is to not go bankrupt so cutting costs by purchasing from an LEB provider is the best method.
I could put ads up so I could afford a non-low end provider. But people would likely not be happy that there are ads to support having this site hosted, for example, with BlackLotus or to afford CloudFlare's business plan.

Just trying to keep it simple. Everything has been out of my pocket so far.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I could put ads up so I could afford a non-low end provider. But people would likely not be happy that there are ads to support having this site hosted, for example, with BlackLotus or to afford CloudFlare's business plan.

Just trying to keep it simple. Everything has been out of my pocket so far.
I think it would be bad for now to run to a big provider and a super server in light of the lowly ended spirit.

Ads, blregghhh!  Maybe in the future.

Thanks for spending your time doing this and your hard earned money.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Gross profit  as in all the money he took in or after all his costs.

By the ad spot rates, $10k a month - 25% for BuySellAds commission. = $7500 a month.

If Joel was making total what was claimed, something was wrong.  Depends though on when  he had the site.  Feb-March 2012 as maybe 1 month or something could see bad income like that.  Thereafter, no way.

That's some serious cash for sitting there commandoing Liam and moderators around.

I'd like for the original lowend Admin to come back and chime in on things :)  He seemed like a right intentioned guy.  Bet he wouldn't be happy about the ad ramp up and then the mass sell off.

PS: Even both sites combined at $7500 income is pitifully low.  But I don't believe the traffic since CC got the site is genuine.  Ask the other hosts making offers about their sales.
LET ads came pretty late into last year. When Joel took the site there was only a dozen or so frontpage ads and that brought in about $500/m.

LET ads came in...the summer? As well as the rampup on frontpage ads.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
LET ads came pretty late into last year. When Joel took the site there was only a dozen or so frontpage ads and that brought in about $500/m.

LET ads came in...the summer? As well as the rampup on frontpage ads.

Francisco
I did the dates.  The BuySellAds accounts are dated February 2012.  Assuming when Joel took over.

LEB had ads running on it since 2009(?)... That income surely was rolling in, so his income wasn't as low as he said.  Joel got LEB right :) ?

Now LET started running ads on the site it looks like in September or October 2012.  So that doubled up on the money or at least boosted it.

Since then the ad rates I believe have increased.

Has anyone officially confirmed the data when the CC borgs took over LET/LEB?   I've been pegging that as the time when the LET ads appeared (Sept-Oct).

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Nothing against you. And nothing against BuyVM.

I just wanted to show that every forum is owned by someone and hosted by a company.

And that this fact cannot be a valid justification for the actions against LET.

Noone is saying that the hack/ddos against LET was not ok. And just because noone likes CVPS?

In my opinion a action is good or bad and this judgment should not depend on the target of the action.

Hacking/DDoSing/Defacement is not a valid, fair-minded or suitable action against someone because you do not like him or his actions.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I just wanted to show that every forum is owned by someone and hosted by a company.

Well, basically the forum is run by MannDude who is currently hired by URPad (but could change in the next couple of weeks).  The servers are hosted on BuyVM.  

Everything has been paid for by MannDude through his personal funds.  People who are on staff here on VPSBoard represent different VPS Companies, but we all participate on this forum more as users.  

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@HalfEatenPie, are you an admin or mod? You show up on the forum team page but your usergroup is set to "Verified Provider". Just curious. :)

mud

I personally hate the fact that the LEB/LET fiasco is bleeding into vpsBoard. I vote for 1 thread about LEB/LET/CC/ChicagoVPS/Joel/Chief/Dinosaurs and let the rest of the threads (like this one) stay on topic. B)
Agreed, this forum is starting to look like LowEndTalkTalk

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
@HalfEatenPie, are you an admin or mod? You show up on the forum team page but your usergroup is set to "Verified Provider". Just curious.

I'm a Mod!  But only in two forums (VPS Offers and Review forums).  This is because we wanted to keep the VPS Offers thread and the Review threads to be moderated by several people within the industry to remain as neutral (and equal) as we can be.  Regardless, I guarantee you my moderating work and my VPS Provider work will be separate.  My moderating work will be as reasonable and as justifiable/logical as I can be.   :p

Of course if anyone has problems with me let me know, or let MannDude know so he can kick my butt into gear.  

Last edited by a moderator:
amuck-landowner