amuck-landowner

Console Access: VPS vs Dedicated Server

tonyg

When you own/rent a dedicated server at a DC how does one deal with needing console access due to firewall configuration issues or reinstalling the OS?

Does it require contacting the host or is there any type of sofware application that allows remote access?

Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

fizzyjoe908

Verified Provider
You can:

1. Get a server with built-in IPMI

2. Get an external KVM device (Spider)

3. Rent a KVM device from the datacenter

SrsX

Banned
When ever I get servers I request IPMI or KVM over IP access. So-far every dedicated server I have ever had does indeed have IPMI or KVM over IP. Last year I remember I had to pay for IPMI/KVM over IP, now-a-days they don't really charge for IPMI or KVM over IP. My current server I get it for free so.

If you want a reference comparing the two, a quick google search shows:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1028377

tonyg

Excellent...thanks fizzyjoe908!

Edit: Thanks guys, good info...much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

nunim

VPS Junkie
Seems like most providers don't offer a separate port for IPMI, so if you screw up your network configuration you're screwed. When I was setting up a dedi with Reprise they included IPMI, however when I was playing with the Proxmox I managed to break my network config, more then once rendering the IPMI useless.  They eventually set me up with a KVM so I could get everything setup properly. 

cubixcloud

Verified Provider
Most times you have to specifically request for IPMI Port. Most providers throw them in or charge at least $5/mo. for the port. When ever we deploy servers from our owned DC or others we make sure its there and available.

One thing folks typically forget about is keeping firmware update on the IPMI ports.

nunim

VPS Junkie
Most times you have to specifically request for IPMI Port. Most providers throw them in or charge at least $5/mo. for the port. When ever we deploy servers from our owned DC or others we make sure its there and available.

One thing folks typically forget about is keeping firmware update on the IPMI ports.
Have any firmware updates added IPMI IPv6 only addressing?

amuck-landowner