amuck-landowner

Convert physical drive to virtual drive

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
Here's the situation, I have a physical drive that contains about 200 gigs of data that I need to convert to a virtual drive to mount on either a kvm or openvz machine. How would you go about doing this? I really need to keep the downtime to a minimum.

Thanks ahead of time.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
dd your hard drive to an image file:

dd if=/dev/hda1 of=/var/lib/libvirt/hdd/serverdisk.img

Mount in into your vps. Done.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Depends on virtualization. For vmware I would use vmware converter

acd

Why not pass physical disk directly to the kvm and call it good? Why does it need to be converted at all?

Assuming libvirt, add a block to your vm's container XML (or use virt-manager, or whatever you use to add this block for you)

<disk type='block' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='none' io='native'/>
      <source dev='/dev/disk'/>
      <target dev='vdb' bus='virtio'/>
      <alias name='virtio-disk1'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0'/>
    </disk>
If you're passing raw arguments to KVM, it'd look like so:

-drive file=/dev/disk,if=none,id=drive-virtio-disk1,format=raw,cache=none,aio=native -device virtio-blk-pci,scsi=off,bus=pci.0,addr=0x7,drive=drive-virtio-disk1,id=virtio-disk1
Same with OVZ, mount /dev/disk /somewhere/in/ovz/container/prebind/root

Change /dev/disk to the appropriate device file.

Last edited by a moderator:

NodeBytes

Dedi Addict
@acd - I couldn't do that because I was moving data from a physical server to a new virtual server. I'm moving a lot of my physical servers to virtual servers.

acd

Makes sense to me.

In that case, an openvz image is basically a tarball of the root directory without /boot or /lib/modules.

Making one is pretty much as simple as 

cd /mounted/disk/path ; tar zcpSf /openvz-img.tar.gz --numeric-owner -X .
Worst case scenario, you rsync the data from the existing server to your virtual one.

amuck-landowner