amuck-landowner

Correct filesystem to sync OS X machine with Debian server?

Amitz

Dear all,

I had the plan to use a spare storage VPS as backup space for my OS X machine at home. The idea was to mount the filesystem of the VPS via ssh using ExpanDrive and to sync the data on a daily basis with ChronoSync. I was not too happy with all self-hosted "Cloud-Solutions" like owncloud or seafile that I tried before.

A word and a blow. I installed Debian 7 on the VPS using ext3 as filesystem, configured everything on the OS X machine and things looked great until I started ChronoSync for the first time. It spit out some justified warnings right at the beginning that the filesystem on the target side (the Debian VPS) is not supporting case sensitivity and that metadata might get lost in space because the target is not formatted in HFS+. Right, this is something I did not think of beforehand.

My knowledge about different filesystems is VERY limited. What would you suggest me to do? Don't beat me with a stick in case that the question is stupid: Will I be able to use HFS+ as filesystem for my Debian VPS or is that FS Apple-only? What are my choices to make my plan come true?

Thank you VERY much in advance for your hints/guidance/ideas on that matter!

Kind regards

Amitz

Amitz

As a follow-up: Is creating a partition with HFS+ on the VPS my only option? And - damn- I never did that! How do I do this? Maybe I should just stick with Dropbox... ;) But life is all about learning, isn't it...?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amitz

Okay, one step further: It does not matter. The filesystem is mounted as "OSXFUSE" anyway so the warnings do not disappear if I have a HFS+ partition on the VPS side. I just tried it with an IwStack instance.

I have come to the impression that I am on the wrong track. This topic may be deleted if the Mods agree.

amuck-landowner