amuck-landowner

Cpanel backups

Criot

Verified Provider
R1Soft is quite popular, cPRemote is also quite good and seems to be used by quite a few companies.

mitgib

Verified Provider
Looking over cPremote, what does this do that the built in cpback doesn't already do other than offer some features that shared hosting clients are not going to have a clue what to do with and someone else parting you with your money.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Paying for backup software is like paying for somebody else to put a bulletproof vest on you. You're just better off doing it yourself because you know it's done correctly and you don't want to take the chance that it doesn't work when you need it to.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Looking over cPremote, what does this do that the built in cpback doesn't already do other than offer some features that shared hosting clients are not going to have a clue what to do with and someone else parting you with your money.
Does the built-in option provide the ability for users to do restores? As well as keep full rotating backups.

For $5/month it's good. We'll be shoving it back on our nodes once I get the storage drives installed.

Francisco

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Does the built-in option provide the ability for users to do restores? As well as keep full rotating backups.

For $5/month it's good. We'll be shoving it back on our nodes once I get the storage drives installed.

Francisco
Yes.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Any automated backups appear here:

backups.png

And you can restore here:

restore.png

mitgib

Verified Provider
@KuJoe Are you using the new backup feature? I still use the legacy backup system since when you select incremental it just uses rsync and I nfs mount the backup location. Not good for OpenVZ based cPanel systems, but not the mess cPanel makes on the new backup system.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@mitgib yes we switched to the new backup system and our cPanel server is on an OpenVZ VPS also (although it's the only VPS on the server so it has access to all of the RAM, CPU, and disk space). Not a big fan on the new directory structure (using dates instead of "daily", "weekly", and "monthly") but it's not bad. I have to do uncompressed backups though because it takes forever and pegs the CPUs (only 2 quad core Xeons). I run a cron job that rsyncs everything in the /backup/ directory in the evening before the next backup is scheduled to run.

What I really want to do is convert our cPanel VPS over to ploop so I can rsync the ploop file over every week to easier restoration if something catastrophic happens to it but it would require a 2-3 hour outage so I might as well just rebuild a new server and migrate every one over. But that's a little off topic.

Currently at the moment we have 2 different setups for our servers!

1. R1Soft Daily/Hourly Backups!

2. cPanel Automatic Backup with Amazon AWS (SW3) - Automatically uploads to there server.

libro22

Unless you want end-user restores, cpbackup is often enough.

cpRemote is a cheap option for the end-user restore. Haven't had a corrupted backup when I used them in the past.

amuck-landowner