amuck-landowner

cryptic short domain names, why so popular?

rupe

I was looking over the posts on LEB, and noticed a few about short domain names. I can understand the popularity/use of short urls for websites, email addresses, etc. But what are those cryptic (ie k4oq.org) domains used for?

Just curious :)

GaleDribble

The random ones are probably used as hostnames for random test servers or for rdns for vpns and irc related stuff. I used to have a short one (forget what it was) that I used for a vpn. Was like nyc.ny.qt9.in or something random for the hostname. Only got it because whatever registar it was had a sale on .in's at the time.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
i think its just mainly because it comes across as cool to have something that is cryptic.. like "l33t" or something along them lines, or i may be totally wrong. who knows :p

comXyz

Well,

I sold some nice - pronounceable domains for low price, because no buyers interested in.

Then I sold some strange - unpronounceable domains for high price $$$ to $,$$$ because the buyers were interested in.

Domain is just like a girl, you like it, but others not. Maybe you hate it, but others love it.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Well,

I sold some nice - pronounceable domains for low price, because no buyers interested in.

Then I sold some strange - unpronounceable domains for high price $$$ to $,$$$ because the buyers were interested in.

Domain is just like a girl, you like it, but others not. Maybe you hate it, but others love it.
LOL i love that analogy about the girl and domain xD

amuck-landowner