amuck-landowner

Cyber-libel and Criminal Defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodHosting

and... back to the main original issue, from over there....

There was Lowendbox.co(?) that folded / went under... Then their is GoodHosting which was inheriting customers freely from such.... Do I have this right?  and concept by some is that both companies are one in the same.. right?

@GoodHosting, no chance the two accounts repping both companies along the way wasn't sharing a common IP address? That's by far and wide the biggest gotcha over there.  Was this brought up anywhere in public or PM?
I can honestly say that I have not a single customer from this debacle, as I've only had registrations recently from our offers at FreeVPS and NationServer respectively [ as we were allowed to post offers on the sites we sponsor. ]  I opted not to post an offer on LowEndTalk when I was unbanned because I knew it would lead to more shit, and give mpkossen a reason to go after me again [ as it seems he wanted to. ]

viCommunications was some unrelated kid as far as I know, he self-proclaimed "worked for" LowEND; but the owner never confirmed that [ that I'm aware of. ]  I didn't know the viCommunication kids but two days prior to thew hole thing imploding, because viCommunications had sent me a PM on LET asking for my Skype [ which mpkossen can see, so he knows well about that. ]

Oh yeah, here's viCommunication's Skype logs to me:

https://db.tt/Rb8CerVm

https://db.tt/CLVKzXdA

https://db.tt/K5uLl8R3

Admittedly, I was feeding the troll that morning, should have kept my mouth shut I guess. Basically... lots of fun, lots of him hating me for something I didn't do [ that he admitted I was unrelated, but wanted to drag me through it since he couldn't get at Michael, apparently. ]

---

Yeah, this isn't LET or the side-show to discuss what's going on there when you get banned.
I don't even care about the ban, just trying to figure out how it exploded to this proportion.

This is the Off Topic section, but if this thread is too off-topic, feel free to remove it [ I didn't see any specific rules to what would fit this type of post, so I just went ahead and posted it. ]

---

Thanks all for the help on this thread honestly, the feedback is rather constructive in general.

---

@drmike : Thanks, will consider it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
As I have been advised by my legal counsel, the best way to handle the matter is to try and strife it out with the parties involved before going the full mile.
No matter how I look at it, that just reads as "Why are you wasting our time with this?".  And I can't help but agree.

Somebody said something untrue on the internet.  Not really a big cause of concern.  The only thing you're accomplishing here is giving them the satisfaction of having gotten you worked up over it.  Immediately throwing the lawyer card, especially in a situation that doesn't come close to calling for one, does nothing more than show how similar you are to them.

Schultz

It would be so funny if "vicommunications" was reading this thread. :mellow:

After reading through some of the threads, it does appear that Michael Long owns LowEND.co and clients were going to be transfered to you after he deadpooled. It also appears he threw "vicommunications" under the bus for him and this "vicommunications" charecter wanted revenege so he leaked details pertaining to your secret relationship with LowEND.co - which is now a deadpooled provider.

Michael Long is already a deadpooler. He's owned a company called "Yottobytes Networks" (link: http://lowendbox.com/blog/dead-pool-october-2011/)

All in all, I think you deserved what you got coming.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Currently, the hosting [ Internet Service Provider ] of this service could not be reached, as their public servers are protected by a pass-through network known as "CloudFlare"; which has its' own protections and due process in which we must follow to send a notice of removal forward.
LET/LEB hosts themselves. They are owned by Colocrossing.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
LET/LEB hosts themselves. They are owned by Colocrossing.
Nature of the whole take down approach is to trim the front side first, which is Cloudflare in this instance.   Cause in theory you don't know where the site is hosted, but historically, and at last check, yeah they bury their self hosting (CC) behind CF.

This whole situation I think needs my fine toothed comb going over ;)   Hoping people are being straight.... cause we know what can happen if I find smoking guns and missing hands.

ihatetonyy

LET does PLENTY that exceeds the neutral pass through publishing party standards sites like to hide behind.  The place is rather-policed, they edit posts (even when people don't request such), they refile category to Off Topic and to public as matter suits them.  They also actively participate, including moderators, other principals / ownership of parent company, partners, etc.   So they exceed normal "publisher" role passing things freely through software by about 15 miles.  And, their decisions, choices, and voices on matters can logically be inferred to benefit their financial well being (for the parent company, not the decoy site in the middle website).

As awful and heavy-handed as ChicagoCrossing can be with the website, if any ruling along those lines comes to pass we'd all be worse off for it. It looks like as long as they didn't edit the posts in the thread to become libelous they're solid.

EFF said:
While Section 230(f)(3)'s definition of an information content provider includes "any person ... that is responsible ... for the creation or development of information," the inclusion of "development" does not prohibit editorial activities. "Development requires material substantive contribution to the information that is ultimately published. Deleting profanity, selectively deleting or allowing to remain certain postings, and commenting favorably or unfavorably on some postings, without changing the substance of the message authored by another, does not constitute “development” within the meaning of § 230(f)(3)." Donato v. Moldow, 374 N.J. Super. 475, 865 A.2d 711, 727-728 (N.J. Super. A.D. 2005). Moreover, failing to remove a posting after being put on notice of the posting's potentially defamatory nature, constitutes an editorial function and thus falls within the immunity provided by section 230. Global Royalties, Ltd. v. Xcentric Ventures, LLC, 544 F. Supp. 2d 929 (D. Ariz. 2008). Universal Commc'n Sys., Inc. v. Lycos, 478 F.3d 413, 420 (1st Cir. 2007). However, when an internet service provider requests potentially defamatory material for the purpose of incorporating the provided material into a larger posting containing original "thoughts and contributions," section 230 immunity may not apply. Woodhull v. Meinel, 145 N.M. 533, 202 P.3d 126 (N.M. App. Ct. 2008)(in reversing a grant of summary judgment, the court stated that, the "defendant created a question as to whether [a previous posting] could reasonably be viewed as containing two substantive elements calling for separate analysis and treatment.")

AThomasHowe

I do feel a bit sorry for you GH, especially reading some of those Skype convos (it's funny, I was talking to vi at the same time. His spin was *obviously* very different, though. I was surprised he even asked for my Skype on the day he got fucked over). I can't help but think the wording of the first post and others like it are why you aren't getting much traction. I get it, you feel as if your name is being dragged through the mud... it's not libel though and it's not defamation, those are some very strong terms. You're rubbing people the wrong way and making them resistant to help you.

Others are right too though, now *you* are the one spreading this crap over to other forums, nobody else. As much as some here would like it to be it's not the spillover from LET... it's just taken in some of the drift wood...

GoodHosting

The only thing I want removed is the Silkroad connection, as I had my employer phoning me the next day asking why it was on the top of Google.

---

In response to the LET posts, since they've linked here now:

@AThomasHowe / @mpkossen : The C&D / Removal letter, I'd sent it to CloudFlare originally [ I never even knew cloudflare-watch was a thing. ]  They never responded to my initial removal request, but they respected my one regarding the thread in question; and responded to me today saying it has been forwarded.

https://db.tt/VBifFCB8

@AThomasHowe / @gsrdgrdghd : Everyone did stupid things when they were young, I don't know why my 3 stupid projects equate to me being a scammer.

@alexh

He continues to pull shit from his ass to attempt to threaten those who called him out, as proven by his messages with other members.

Those who provoke others in order to turn around and seek help from law enforcement are sick, cowardly, dishonest people. GH is a coward and a loser who's too weak to defend himself; Community members at VPSBoard wouldn't come to his defense, so now he's out of options. He can't fight his own battles.

People like this make me sick; He's at home knowing he wasted all of your time and energy, and feeling better about himself. Fuck what people say, he just wants the attention.

That hurts a little.  I don't know what I've done to deserve this kind of automatic hatred, but I can't expect any differently from certain people [viCommunications and friends?]  I have no issues with being "called out" if there is proof of any wrongdoings.  I would not be here if there was proof of any wrongdoings, I'd probably be locked up in a prison; as fraud is straight up ILLEGAL in many countries.

I seek help from law enforcement because I am a CANADIAN, DISABLED, YOUTH and a SMALL BUSINESS OWNER [ literally 4/6 of the minority hate groups.  I need only be homosexual and a woman to get a top score. ], I have literally nobody else to turn to; since everyone is very happy to jump on the hate train without seeing any proof attached, just for the sake of drama.  As well, you can't fight a battle of post removal without the right to speak [ I'm not sure how you think I'd get a post removed without an audience exactly, that's what legal / abuse messages are for, they give that audience. ]

I don't need anyone to come to my defense, but I do appreciate [ and I appreciate it very much so ] all the input I have received into how I could have handled this situation differently.

AThomasHowe

@AThomasHowe / @mpkossen : The C&D / Removal letter, I'd sent it to CloudFlare originally [ I never even knew cloudflare-watch was a thing. ]  They never responded to my initial removal request, but they respected my one regarding the thread in question; and responded to me today saying it has been forwarded.

https://db.tt/VBifFCB8

Right, I wasn't trying to make a point with the screenshots but I still stick by what I said about you're making too much of a deal about the legal. It's not impressive and it won't make people back down either, it'll make them resistant to work for you. Just not wanting to get caught up in the percieved web of lies.

@AThomasHowe / @gsrdgrdghd : Everyone did stupid things when they were young, I don't know why my 3 stupid projects equate to me being a scammer.
Uh, I believe I stood up for you in that regard...

GoodHosting

> Uh, I believe I stood up for you in that regard...

And I thank you for that.

---

In response to the cbroughton / "4chan" conspiracy theories:

My avatar is literally a cropped picture of myself from my trip to Cuba a year back.  The full image is available here:

https://db.tt/vRkUihXC

That nice fellow next to me made me the hat out of palm leafs, and cut a few coconuts open for my family; so we took a picture of him and myself with the hat.

Yes, I am an Albino; and yes, that is me in the hat.

---

As per why "4chan" got involved... I sponsored a community project called "4craft" at one point, a 4chan minecraft server.  As to how that turned into this.. it's kind of obvious knowing 4chan.

---

@alexh : I don't claim to be a professional, I'm only 21 for gods sakes. [ only just turned as well. ]  I'm just trying to gain business experience, and having the worst of luck with suppliers.

GoodHosting

When you're young you want to break the systems. As you get older you want to build them...
So very true...

I did some stupid things when I was young; I'll not hide from that, but nothing was "illegal" per se.  Hell, all of my claims of being a "hacker" back then were completely false, as back in the early 2000s you had to seem big to get anywhere.  The GamerzNeeds post was... I don't even know what I was thinking that day, but the FS post turned into a great business relationship for some years, and then eventual backstab [ as it seems Michael did to me here. ]

AThomasHowe

Well yeah, but that's what happens when you do business with people like that. For the record what viComms said to me was that Michael said he'd fun vi to start his own hosting company if he helped clear up the mess. There were also claims of a $100,00 lawsuit against Michael and stuff which is why he thought he had so much money (and I guess the Silk Road connection). I think Michael was probably just trying to big himself up a lot with vi, though. I felt like what he said about funding the host may have been true though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner