amuck-landowner

DD Script

Mun

Never Forget
I know many of you hate LET now, so I am posting here for feed back as well.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/24393/dd-script#latest

I built a bash + crontab script that creates a list of your historical dd as well as one current one.

It can be seen here: Current: http://192.3.139.124/dd.txt Historical:http://192.3.139.124/dd_historical.txt

My fear is that it will be abused and cause people to aimlessly use this to "monitor" there server. Though you may say mine was aimless as well, I will disagree. In any case, I'd like to hear your thoughts if I should make this available as well as a poll.

Mun

yolo

This

Is

The

Stupidest

Thing

In

The

World

I could not think of anything worse that anybody has made to 'monitor' their VPS

tonyg

I like the idea but not the execution. After some time all this data will be unreadable.

Either:

Graph the data

or

Reduce the number of runs each day to maybe every six or eight hours

Last edited by a moderator:

Mun

Never Forget
I like the idea but not the execution. After some time all this data will be unreadable.

Either:

Graph the data

or

Either:

Graph the data

or

I did actually :) I think it is on 12?

SkylarM

Verified Provider
You did, I later changed it after I noticed an improvement on the hosts node and saw no need to check every few hours. (plus sorta felt bad)
If everyone started running a DD on a cronjob every x hours I'd honestly setup monitoring to stop and/or limit the tests. That'd ad huge unnecessary disk activity for no real reason.

Flapadar

Verified Provider
You did, I later changed it after I noticed an improvement on the hosts node and saw no need to check every few hours. (plus sorta felt bad)
And so you should. DD shouldn't be run to test write speed unless you're using it as one of several methods to prove a problem to your provider. 

The only time you should even consider releasing that script is if it checks steal time and iowait to see if they're high before running the test. However - that will still make the problem worse! 

Last edited by a moderator:

Mun

Never Forget
I think I proved an issue with my provider when they where getting nearly constant I/O speed of less then 20MB/s.

Mun

tchen

Do you have a suggestion on which DD test to use? I can modify the script to use less, as long as people still see it as a viable test.
I really can't recommend any sustained DD test.  If you're on a full virt like KVM or Xen, just read proc/diskstats.  On OpenVZ, the only thing I'd recommend is a 'single' ioping.  At regular intervals (much like what you're doing now with dd), it still paints a pretty good picture of any IO degradation before it becomes an issue without seriously adding to the problem.

The problem with the 1GB or anything sizeable is that it's going to blow out any cache.  At which point, you're really testing only the raw spindle speed, not anything related to how the node is setup.  To boot, that's going to fluctuate as the IO scheduler interleaves you with the other guy doing the dd test.  

P.S. I choose ioping because it defaults to just 4k.  More indicative of any random seek from your database / apache than sustained dd.

Mun

Never Forget
IOWAIT is good to determine if your process(es) are/is being held up by your disk / latency, but it isn't a good determiner if that IOWAIT is because of how the program is written, or if it is because the disk is getting hammered.

Mun

amuck-landowner