amuck-landowner

dd-wrt b/g/n cheap hardware that works

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Looking to cobble another wifi access point together for one of the various VPN/SSH tunnel centralized ideas.

Can anyone recommend a cheap dd-wrt compatible devices with b/g/n support they have used or are using?  Doesn't need to be new or anything, just capable of running dd-wrt and supporting this plus some free resources as needed to cobble related.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Personally, I have Netgear WNDR3400 and it's fine for me.  Unfortunately the most recent version of the WNDR3400 firmware has OpenVPN but lacks support for IPv6.  

Actually, looking now seems they came up with an update.  I guess I'll be updating the firmware once I'm done writing this post to check out what new shiny features they have (hoping it actually supports IPv6 and OpenVPN at the same time).  

Netgear routers wise I'd suggest the WNDR4300, usually the newer routers are rolled out with newer firmwares which results in shinier features.  

Last edited by a moderator:

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Funny enough, I only buy Buffalo routers. Their new line comes with a Buffalo branded version of DD-WRT by default and it just works (you can flash it with the normal DD-WRT very easily but their brand is the same thing just with a pretty wrapper around it).

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Funny enough, I only buy Buffalo routers. Their new line comes with a Buffalo branded version of DD-WRT by default and it just works (you can flash it with the normal DD-WRT very easily but their brand is the same thing just with a pretty wrapper around it).

I do need a new router.  I might go for a Buffalo one.  Hm.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I like the Buffalo routers.   Confused to all end with their model numbers and deciphering differences between models.  Finding semi-decent models at low price point hasn't happened lately.

Have an N series unit from them that had their own OS running with some useful features that dd-wrt didn't.  Keep bouncing between the two firmwares now and then....

@wlanboy, the TP-Link model looks interesting.  Price point seem kind of high.

@dclardy, interesting unit with low price.  Store purchase only and not one of those stores around me.

willie

I've heard the cheap Rosewill (Newegg house brand) routers are rebranded tp-link.  I have one and it worked fine with the factory firmware when I was using it.  I never got around to putting dd-wrt or whatever on it.

amuck-landowner