amuck-landowner

Deep freeze

maounique

In Romania and Russia. We have had no winter yet just a bit in october.

I had to learn skating since there is no snow to ski.

10-15 degrees in the mountains, only in the plains is colder still much warmer than normal, due to fog and low cloud. This time of year should be like -10 in the night and barely 0 in the day. We have 10 degrees over that for more than a month.

AuroraZero

I have one word for everyone "wood". Burn it in a stove and you will not care what the temp outside reaches. Stays 70 in my house and all we have to do is add some extra logs. Cut it yourself like the neighbor and I do and it warms you twice. :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
G2R3bAF.png

Monday/Tuesday are the only real 'bad' days here. The rest is... normal winter.

People are freaking out though, went to the store today to get normal groceries....

6jjw5ep.jpg

Oh, okay... Wal-Mart doesn't have bread in stock. Hmm..

qbforDF.jpg

This is where the milk normally goes. None. Okay, there is that pansy purple label stuff. Must be ultra-skim, low-fat water milk or something. I'm not mixing that in with my Ovaltine! All the 'regular' milk is gone.

Got milk and bread downtown at the local discount / off-brand / shitty grocery store. Ha! I win.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I love the hordes and their lack of preparedness.

They'll survive on what?  Shitty milk, cheap lousy bread and what else was raided?

Sadly this behavior is national affliction.   Probably the same in Florida :)

AuroraZero

My sis lives in Florida and and she says if anyone mentions the word hurricane the stores get mobbed. She says it is funny to see people getting batteries and water and shit. All stuff that we keep on hand year round in Michigan because it can happen anytime here. I even bought a generator a few years back. Not a big one but enough to keep a radio, the fridge, and a few other essentials going if need be for weeks.

Edit: For spelling, Please forgive me I am old. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I just went outside to experience the beginning of hell to befall us.   It's above freezing, so snow melt has water all over the place and puddling.  This is while a steady mist of rain is soaking things.  30-odd degrees, maybe 35.

Looking at NOAA we are headed to around -15F.  So in 24 hours we going to drop a whopping 50 degrees.   That's some crazy drop in temperature.  I am overdue on purchasing that 4 part official military sleeping system/bag :( Tomorrow would be a good day for that and staying in bed.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Luckily I went crazy while stocking up on camping supplies for our 2 nights in the mountains last month so we have a lot of stuff we normally wouldn't have sitting in the house/car. I bought a sleeping bag rated for 0 degrees that my wife said was overkill and I thought I'd never use outside of camping so I'm happy about that.

I highly recommend everybody grab something like this to keep in the house/car year round: Emergency Kit

I pieced everything in that kit out separately and it ended up being more expensive so that's why we got one of those. We also have a smaller, 2 person kit that we keep in the car with our new winter kit that I put together. Both are great for any situation (originally it was a Hurricane kit in FL, now it's our winter kit here in CO) and it's a relief to know there's something to fall back on in a real emergency.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Xk6mpHF.png

It even looks cold outside...

It's -4° // -20°C out right now.... :|

hcjake

pavane7a.jpg

On my way to work this morning

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ouch on that -19F.

We are in the teens now... But, it rained a bunch and pooled water all over now is ICE.  So it's really slick footing.  Spent a half hour outside and was miserable --- plus the wind is howling.

I don't think it's going as low as they guesstimated originally, but it's still going to be rough.  Looks short lived though.   48 hours tops.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
fpKqkey.jpg

SuQvwGf.jpg

That is the inside of my kitchen window. Was much worse but I did some dishes earlier and had hot water running for about 10-15 minutes so some of it melted off.

House is cozy and warm though! I'll check my mailbox later, but that's only a 12' walk or so. :)

EDIT: And yes, I know my window is dirty and no, I didn't buy those stained glass figures. They came with the house and I've just not replaced them. :)

raidz

This is my 5 day forecast:

screenshot213.png

nunim

VPS Junkie
I've been here for almost a year and my ears still pop on my commute to and from work. I went camping in the mountains and got altitude sickness last month which sucked. I guess that's what happens when you live 10-20ft above sea level for 99% of your life. :(
That happened to me both times I went to Colorado, once we started getting up near the Ski resorts I felt awful.  When you live at sealevel your whole life it takes your body quite awhile to get used to being at altitude.  I miss having an ocean I can swim in any time I wanted and only having one season...  

Living in FL means your wardrobe is wholly inadequate for anything more then Spring and Summer, I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to fold long sleeved shirts.

AuroraZero

68 degress in my house and I do not feel a thing. No wind, No snow, nothing. Went out and got the mail earlier and came right back inside to a nice warm house. :) I might not be the richest man in the world, money wise, but damn it I feel rich sometimes. ;)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Down to wind chill of -24F :)

Overnight is going to be far worse if the winds continue.

amuck-landowner