amuck-landowner

Dell C6100 4x Nodes

earl

I have one with servercomplete, it works great! I wanted to buy a set which I think comes with 4 unit in a 2U form factor but still pretty pricy on ebay.. Think around $700-$1000 for a lower priced one, but then again it works out to be about $250/server which they are charging me $55/mo to rent and considering they are low on power use these guys are making a killing on renting these out!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
I've seen anywhere from $400 - $1000 depending on the configuration etc without HDD's your looking at cheaper pricing.

What are you using this server for?  Are you utilizing all 4 nodes at once?

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Some company on LinkedIn got in touch with me and was trying to sell some to me, $700 each.

earl

What are you using this server for? Are you utilizing all 4 nodes at once?
No I don't own the whole 2U just one node which I rent for $55/mo, I'm using it with proxmox it's great cause I have 8 cores and 16 threads!! I'm just using to test out stuff like webuzo, kloxomr etc nothing major.. But I was contemplating on buying one to add to my collection of servers but it's a bit steep considering you can buy a new server from dell while be it a lower specs for far less!

Forgot to mention I think each node can only have a max 3 hard drive so I don't think RAID 10 is possible..

earl

Some company on LinkedIn got in touch with me and was trying to sell some to me, $700 each.
if each node comes with 2 x L5520 and 24Gb of Ram, and at least includes all the caddies that would be a good deal!

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Ebay.com is your friend :D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-C6100-XS23-TY3-2U-4-x-NODES-8-x-2-26GHz-QC-L5520-128GB-4-x-TRAYS-/111069824548?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item19dc470624

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELL-POWEREDGE-C6100-XS23-TY3-2U-4-x-NODES-8-x-2-26GHz-QC-L5520-128GB-12-x-250GB-/121107754458?pt=COMP_EN_Servers&hash=item1c3295adda

Not bad if you take into consideration that you will have 4 servers per chassis so you looking at around $200 - $250 each, for Duall l5520s (16 cores) 24GB RAM or more and 3HDD's (3 is a pain, but i guess it depends on the configuration of nodes)

Anybody actually using these for VPS? XEN ? I was looking at the possibility of running a vps cluster with them.

Ivan

Verified Provider
Wow, the seller from the items that posted has their own site www.theserverstore.com

Configuring a PowerEdge C1100 from here, and for just $1,003 I can get myself 2x Xeon X5560s, 72GB DDR3 RAM, and 4x 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" HDD.

Tell me that isn't a good deal. 

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Forgot to mention I think each node can only have a max 3 hard drive so I don't think RAID 10 is possible..

Well, they did say if you use 2.5" hard drives it can fit 24 which comes out to 6 hard drives per node.  If you split it up to 2 having SSD Cache (in Raid 1), and then 4 standard SATA Hard drives in Raid 10, that could work.  

Assuming of course that the hardware raid card supports SSD Cache.  

willie

It's true that you get 8 cores, but they are not all that fast (L5520 = 4416 Passmark per cpubenchmark.info, and you get two of those, so 8832 total).  It's comparable to a single E3-1230 or thereabouts.

If the monthly rental is less than 1/6th or so of the hardware price, you're doing ok.

I know that on ebay you can sometimes find servers like this cheap with lots of ram, like 72gb.  That has to be interesting for some purposes.  A few years ago I would have drooled over it, but my current stuff needs cpu and storage more than ram.

qps

Verified Provider
Wow, the seller from the items that posted has their own site www.theserverstore.com

Configuring a PowerEdge C1100 from here, and for just $1,003 I can get myself 2x Xeon X5560s, 72GB DDR3 RAM, and 4x 1TB 7200RPM 3.5" HDD.

Tell me that isn't a good deal. 
I wouldn't buy the hard drives included, as they are likely well-used.  I would recommend buying some new drives off of NewEgg/SuperBiiz/etc instead.

earl

Well, they did say if you use 2.5" hard drives it can fit 24 which comes out to 6 hard drives per node.  If you split it up to 2 having SSD Cache (in Raid 1), and then 4 standard SATA Hard drives in Raid 10, that could work.  

Assuming of course that the hardware raid card supports SSD Cache.  
The 2.5" model uses a different backplane then the 3.5" and they tend to cost more.. you can retrofit a 2.5" in a 3.5" caddy but still it's only limited to 3 hard drive per node.. and the 3.5" model I don't think it's SAS capable so no point in using 2.5" unless you are using SSD.

ty3-8xl5520-384gb-8x72gb25.jpg

Sonwebhost

Nice server and that price of 750 is not bad if you use it for vps nodes it would pay for itself

srinivas910

While doing some general diggin about for hardware i came across those Dell c6100 2u servers consisting of 4x L5520 24GB+ RAM etc.

Is anybody using these servers? Seems like a nice solution for a cluster possibly for VPS Hosting.

Thoughts?

The above servers are good in terms of medium usage users. It is always good to have an alternative of servers while buying. Check out any of the refurbished sites like xfurbish.ae, serverstore.com, and so on. they offer better options while buying.

amuck-landowner