amuck-landowner

DigitalOcean Planning UK Location

tchen

The replication lag I saw was about 60ms to NY2 when I was messing around with them. Then again I have a weird 'if I want to back things up, it goes to the other end of the continent at a minimum' fetish.
Interesting 60ms.  New underwater cable route?  But ya, people with DR needs in the EU were kinda stuck up a boat without a paddle if they also had EU data protection requirements to meet.  Now they have no excuse.

Abydon

Interesting 60ms.  New underwater cable route?  But ya, people with DR needs in the EU were kinda stuck up a boat without a paddle if they also had EU data protection requirements to meet.  Now they have no excuse.
It is possible I misremembered the ms. This was like 6 months ago. My point was more it was not awful. :p

Also true.

ocitysolutions

Verified Provider
New update:

Hi folks,

Wanted to provide another update on the UK datacenter. We are beginning work on contracts with a UK datacenter provider and we hope to have this region launched within in the next [SIZE=inherit]2-4[/SIZE] months.

If there are any delays outside of the 4 month time frame we will provide an update, but it will be officially the next region that we open.

Thanks,
Moisey
Cofounder Digitalocean

VPN.SH

Regardless of whether or not it's the most logical location they could open, it's probably going to make them more sales than opening up another USA location, or somewhere further East. Also, regardless of whether or not there are other things that should be worked on, opening up an additional location surely isn't a negative thing?

They've given themselves a few months to roll this out, and I'm sure DO is large enough to work on more than one thing at once, meaning that they won't work solely on getting an additional location up and running, as they'd most probably be working on improving their service in other areas simultaneously.

Either way, props to Digital Ocean for continuing to stretch their locations, and I personally believe that this is good progress. It'd be nice to see some more locations that are further away in terms of latency, to give them a better global stance, but this is still progress and my personal thoughts are that they should be praised for stretching themselves a little further.

udk

Verified Provider
I, for one, welcome DigitalOcean to the UK market after being somewhat disappointed by the Vultr launch there (in terms of connectivity.)

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
I, for one, welcome DigitalOcean to the UK market after being somewhat disappointed by the Vultr launch there (in terms of connectivity.)
What is bad about Vultr's UK location? Apart from being single-homed, which I don't like the connectivity is pretty good.

Lee

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
For DO a London option makes sense, to them if not to others.  London, the UK in general is a strong market and there is money in it which is always going to be an attraction.  There is a draw to this type of service rather than your more common VPS provider because DO is perceived to be more trusted by the people they want.

I don't envisage DDoS issues being focused on them, certainly not by whoever has been causing issues for other providers in the past however if they were I am sure that kind of thing is a consideration in every location they look at.

AThomasHowe

Meh. If you like waiting years for features, a pretty web panel and having less choice of location stick to DO.

I don't think I'll be putting any more credit into my DO account once it runs out with Vultr about. Like everyone I was weary at first (that shitty name) but they're really proving themselves. Just hope they don't go basically stagnant too.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
London has officially arrived! From the e-mail:

Today we are thrilled to announce that developers can now launch Droplets in our newest region: London, United Kingdom.

Our community has been requesting a UK region for a while now, and we’re excited to finally announce that it is now available. It is through our users’ support that we have now been able to expand to five regions globally.

IPv6 and private networking are available for Droplets deployed in the new London region. We are excited to see what is developed in the London datacenter and look forward to offering more DigitalOcean regions around the world as we continue to grow.
Full blog post

I'm glad to see they have IPv6. Hope that gets "spread around" to their other locations soon! Have a read of the comments on the blog post though - some interesting discussions going on there about future locations and VAT compliance.

Last edited by a moderator:

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
The network is quite poor imo, NTT and Telia, most routes I've tried go over NTT which has quite crappy routing and latency which is noticeable within UK/London.

Even though Vultr is singlehomed their network easily beats DO.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
The network is quite poor imo, NTT and Telia, most routes I've tried go over NTT which has quite crappy routing and latency which is noticeable within UK/London.

DO's London network is optimized for people in the Dunkirk/Gravelines area.

--- speedtest-lon1.digitalocean.com ping statistics ---

6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 5003ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.196/4.261/4.442/0.105 ms

--- lon-gb-ping.vultr.com ping statistics ---

5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4003ms

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.566/7.718/8.064/0.194 ms

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

Slough isn't London it's Berkshire ;-) ;-)

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Slough isn't London it's Berkshire ;-) ;-)
I'm aware, part of the reason it's crap. At least Rapidswitch has good links to their Central London PoP's and LINX etc.

This is just pure crap transit I'm afraid, but it's going to sell to people who wouldn't know better.

amuck-landowner