amuck-landowner

DNS reflection

Chalipa

hi,

i was not able to connect to my vps with ssh, and my host said i was under attack...

they have disabled DNS reflection and now i can login, i just wanted to know is it safe to have it off?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
More than likely this means you had an open resolver online on your VPS.

You can either shut off your DNS or edit the config file to not make it an open resolver.

If your VPS is not running as a nameserver or anything really that even uses the DNS service, then its probably for the best to remove it.

More information on DNS Reflection Attacks: http://blog.cloudflare.com/the-ddos-that-almost-broke-the-internet

Edit: In terms of it being disabled. You should be fine with it disabled. Safe is a relative term but basically having it off would theoretically improve security. Just make sure you know how to secure your VM.

Last edited by a moderator:

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
my host said i was under attack...
Not sure why they would have said this. If they were more accurate, they would have said "you are the attack". As the article @Mun posted points out, people are often unaware that their server (and bandwidth) are being hijacked to use in an attack. Best bet is to uninstall BIND if you're not using it - you're fine without it.

Serveo

Verified Provider
Most likely your provider suspended the services. Ask them to put it back online and check your rDNS config. What kind of config are you using? LAMP? Which CP is it? Cpanel, Plesk, Directadmin?

Let us know so we can help you in a good direction.

amuck-landowner