amuck-landowner

Do you prefer a Gbit VPS with limited Bandwidth or a 100Mbit unmetered VPS?

blergh

Verified Provider
I'd rather use a service which offers a fair-share on gigabit than fight over 100Mbps with 50 other people.

UnderHost

On a VPS 1gbps with 1TB is enough, That's being said if you have the bandwidth maybe offer both?

Last edited by a moderator:

peterw

You do not write about how many customers have to share the link. 500 vps on 1 Gbit or 10 vps on 100 Mbit?

kcaj

I once had a 10TB/mon Gbit vps on 2host.

I ran the vps in full speed (torrenting in full speed) and could only consume less than 1TB/month.

I can imagine if you have too much bandwidth it will result in poor network speed if the provider cannot afford it.
Torrenting isn't really a fair test of how much bandwidth can be used. The demand isn't always there. For example, I sometimes run transmission-daemon on a 1Gb/s line that is capped to 1TB of data transfer a month and I'll only average around 30Mb/s despite seeding only the most popular torrents from TPB.

I'd rather use a service which offers a fair-share on gigabit than fight over 100Mbps with 50 other people.
What is the difference between 100Mb/s unmetered and 100Mb/s fair-share?

For me I'd prefer a capped connection and even then I prefer a setup such as VMs capped to 100Mb/s on a 1Gb/s node so that no single client is able to consume the entire connection.

Last edited by a moderator:

fr33hosting

why not offer a choice. as depending what your using it for depends which you would choose.100mbit can be slow if you have say a file hosting site using the same connection.I would choose the 100mbit if the speed was poor i would cancel and move to another host.

HBAndrei

Verified Provider
Oh... the classic discussion of quality vs quantity.

I would choose the quality... aka the gbit capped connection.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Gbit with limit cap, always.  Well unless you offer 100TB a month and taunt me to use it.

amuck-landowner