amuck-landowner

Do you sell domain names too?

sshgroup

thats too creepy to keep domain as hostage :D :)) but as friends tell above whmcs & namecheap is perfect , name cheap prices unbeatable

Licensecart

We used to on my hosting brand before, and people did use us with their package, they had direct access to ResellerClub's control panel, so they could manage it themselves.

TH-Dan

Verified Provider
We offer domains and have done since 2007. We use resellerclub and netearthone as providers and have top-tier pricing plans due to the number of domains we have. I haven't got round to adding all these new ridiculous TLDs in. I can't warrant the time setting WHMCS up for all the domain endings, seems like they are bringing out 10 a week currently!

We offer domains and have done since 2007. We use resellerclub and netearthone as providers and have top-tier pricing plans due to the number of domains we have. I haven't got round to adding all these new ridiculous TLDs in. I can't warrant the time setting WHMCS up for all the domain endings, seems like they are bringing out 10 a week currently!
Yes, new TLD's are just stupid and unnecessary.  :(

TurnkeyInternet

Verified Provider
Curious who here resells domain names and if anyone actually orders them. ...  if to be worth the time spent supporting it, but maybe that's just me. :)
It's in the category of a necessary evil - yes people order them, yes it has very limited  margins (when you factor in fraud/chargeback and credit card percentage hits) but its needed to sell things.  And unfortunately every registrar years ago turned into a 'cloud services web hosting company' so if you don't do the domains, you just about are sending off a client who might be thinking about a new domain to your competition without at least 'trying' to take care of them.

kunnu

Verified Provider
Managing a domain is painful for hosting providers, Need to monitor expirdy date of each domains and If expired then also you need to check If Invoice is paid or not.

Managing a domain is painful for hosting providers, Need to monitor expirdy date of each domains and If expired then also you need to check If Invoice is paid or not.
If you are using WHMCS, it manages this for you easily. I only have to make sure that I keep my Domain Reseller Account with enough funds, never had problems with domain automation.

Just give the users all permissions that should be assigned to them, and you don't have a single ticket related to domains. In over 1 year, I never got a ticket related to the domains we sold.

- Henrique

datarealm

Verified Provider
Automating a check on domain expiration date should be quite simple.  Managing a domain is (or at least should be) one of least painful aspects of hosting.

TierNet

Verified Provider
Yeah, we sell domain names too.. it is just a value added service for clients, profit margin is extremely low in it.

bigcat

Verified Provider
Yeah, we sell domain names too.. it is just a value added service for clients, profit margin is extremely low in it.
Seconded this.

I don't think any hosting provider able to generate more than 5% of their total income from domain name.

GigaboxHost

Verified Provider
Agree, we only sell them because of our email hosted service and a company we acquired that was heavy in shared hosting.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Yea.. i don't think i would buy a domain from anybody else then Namecheap xD but i have always used these guys so i would rather just stick with something i have never had any issues with.

EnveraHost

We resell domains from DomainPlex, it's less heard of however it still comes with WHMCS addon etc.

We've had about 40 domains registered with us.

Kruno

Verified Provider
We use eNom and we got around 500 resold domain names there. We have a lot of managed services(being a managed provider) and some of our clients prefer to have everything on one price. That's why we offer domains, cPanel, DirectAdmin, LiteSpeed licenses etc

eNom has been decent so far. It's just annoying when they suspend a domain(due to legal issues, fake whois is something along those lines) without notifying us so we have to be a postman between them and a client. Luckily, it happens very very rarely. Other than that, we use very little extra time on dealing with them and domains. 

We offer it just as a convenience to our customers, because most of them like having everything under one bill. I understand the concern of taking the domain "hostage", but we have never done that or plan to do it in the future. It also makes it much easier to support, as if there is a problem we can easily fix nameservers or other registration details.

For new websites, when our sales staff are going over the prices with the customer, we usually just add in the domain. It is much easier than saying "Oh, sorry we are only a hosting provider, you need to register your domain somewhere else."
I agree with If you take domain and hosting from same hosting than it will good for both hosting provider and user Because if problem arise we have to check the problem was coming from domain or hosting. If problem with domain contact with domain name provider and if hosting problem contact to hosting servies to avoid this type of confusion is best way to get both from one provider so it will best any problem arise  you have to contact only one provider

netgremlin

We sell domains from internetbs  but only  the shared clients buy and not make any profit in it. Did have a client decide not to renew but the domains had auto renew set in my reseller account so had 2 useless domains so told the client he had the domains renewed free of charge for him but replied back saying he didn't want to use them anymore!

A lesson learnt quick there....

Joshua-Epic

Verified Provider
We offer domain registrations as a convenience to our customers mainly. While there is not a huge profit margin on domain registrations, some clients do appreciate it.

As an individual, I would never register a domain through a hosting provider for the same reason everyone else is mentioned, what the heck do you do if they go out of business? Your basically screwed for lack of better words. 

amuck-landowner