amuck-landowner

Does your computer ever sleep?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Entire power efficiency and conservation idea floating here lately - figured I'd ask folks:

Does your computer ever sleep?   

Do you have your main desktop set to use sleep, suspend, etc.?  Do you normally have the computer go off and how have your later resume cycles been?  Everything work well with your computer, software, etc.?

tonyg

Main workstation Sleep:          No (power down HDDs and monitor off yes)

2nd workstation Seep:            Yes

Home Theater System Sleep: Yes

No issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I just turn my desktop/workstation PC off when I clock out of work, and the rest of my usage consists of using my laptop.

I used to keep my workstation PC on 24/7, with a month or so between reboots... lot of wasted time when I only need it for 9-10hrs a day.

Criot

Verified Provider
Yes, set to automatically sleep if it isn't used for around an hour, and obviously I turn it off when I'm not using it. I have no purpose of leaving it turned on!

RLT

Runs 24/7 my daughters grab it as soon as I get up from the desk. They like the multiple monitor setup.

willie

My main pc is a laptop and I set it up to not suspend when I shut the lid on AC power (I like to leave the network connections up) but it suspends with the lid closed on battery power, and that works mostly perfectly fine.  I use it on AC at home but I do take it places in suspend mode.

JahAGR

Desktop generally off when I go to bed but sometimes I put it into sleep if I had stuff I was working on at the time.

Laptop sleeps every time I close the lid.

Desktop (Windows 7/8.1) occasionally has an issue resuming from sleep but it has been months since it happened. Probably a hardware/driver issue. Never had trouble getting out of sleep on my old windows laptop

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Laptops, sure.

Desktops/servers no - backups run overnight, Dropbox/OneDrive/GoogleDrive sync, etc.

dave

The computer stays on all the time.  I just turn the monitor off at night or if I'm going out.

It's uploading weather data 24/7, and I'm often playlatering some show or movie, or encoding video with Handbrake.

I also have secondary rsync backups that backup all my servers to my home in the middle of the night.

bizzard

My main work computer is a Thinkpad. It sleeps when lid is closed when on A/C and hibernates if its on battery. For the past few weeks, it stays hibernated for around 5 hours every weekdays as its the time taken for my to and fro office travel.

Also have 2 RPi's which stays on 24/7, one at office and another at home.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
One of the reasons I don't turn my workstation down / off is because Debian LXDE doesn't seem to bundle and make apparent and clear where such features are.

I can manually start bar hibernate or suspend, but that's not sufficient.  Often when I sneak off to bed I have things downloading (especially where my internet sucks so horribly that I have to overnight schedule such).

I have small ARM boxes, Pi's and otherwise that can be used for the downloading, so moving more of that to those.

Last night I checked out a manual and scriptable way to go into hibernate mode and it works!  Hibernate tosses everything to a disk file.  So if you run spinning drives or have slow disk, this route may be painful.  I run a SSD bootdrive so it's rather quick to dump to disk and to resume later.

bash -c "sleep 2h; pm-hibernate"

That's from a shell prompt in Debian. It waits 2 hours and then hibernates.

Hibernation mode resumes gracefully with a power button push.  Only catch is OpenVPN needs to be manually restarted.  Appears that everything else works though.

Hope this benefits others out there with similar workstation usage and problems scheduling  computer off time.  If I were Monday-Friday away from home I could entirely see myself sending my workstation to sleep before bed time and not manually resuming until 16+ hours later.   That would be quite a bit of savings.

Onra Host

Verified Provider
Both my office and home computer go on sleep after 30 minutes. Laptop goes to sleep when closed. 

foreign

Verified Provider
I used to keep my workstation PC on 24/7, with a month or so between reboots... lot of wasted time when I only need it for 9-10hrs a day.
I did the same when I had PC.

Now I have laptop and I put it to sleep only when I will be away for 1-3 hours. If I won't use it for longer time eg. overnight, I turn it off.

tmzVPS-Daniel

Verified Provider
My 2 main computers just reboots in between, never really shut down since they are both in constant use. 

- Daniel :)

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
My laptop sleeps while I have it in my bag.

Thats the only one that ever sleeps.

amuck-landowner