amuck-landowner

Does your VPS provider install patches in your container in stealth?

Amitz

For what it's worth:

I setup a test VM with Vultr (Debian 7 x86) and noticed constant remote server connections from port 80.

I proceeded to block the connections with iptables.

Started having issues updating the system and it turns out that all/most of these IPs are Debian update servers.

Somehow these Debian servers are connecting constantly to my IP.

By the way, I installed from original Debian ISOs and DON'T have unattended-upgrades.
Honestly, that would feel spooky to me. It may be with good intentions, but I would prefer to have full control myself about what happens on my rented server. Maybe that is why I rent less and less VMs and more and more dedicated servers...

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Maybe that is why I rent less and less VMs and more and more dedicated servers...
I blame LET for the fact that my dedicated server count now exceeds my VPS count.  It doesn't make me want to rent a VPS when I see VPS providers saying ""Hosting providers utilizing OpenVZ virtualization technology to provide "virtual private server" web hosting services are under no obligation to abide by data privacy laws as due to the nature of OpenVZ virtualization..." :p

amuck-landowner