amuck-landowner

E3 2013 and all the goodies that come with it

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Figured i'd open a thread here since I saw no chatter about it :)

Anyone here decide what platform they'll be going to? If so, why?

Personally I got an xbox 360 here that I haven't played in over a

year so I expect I'll trade it in for a PS3 or something.

I'm kind of sad Nintendo didn't announce more or at least give us a taste of the next

Zelda but I guess they are doing the "Nintendo Direct" deals on a

pretty good basis.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
So... I've decided to not purchase a single game console off of what happened on E3.  If I did though, it more than likely would have been the PS4.  But honestly no console has poked my interests.  

concerto49

Verified Provider
Square Enix cheated again. Instead of announcing what happened to ff13 vs, they dodged that. Instead of announcing a real ff15, they rebranded ff13 vs as ff15.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Isn't 13 the multi platform one with Lightening?

Maybe they scrapped the project or it's being released on the PS3/PS4?

Francisco

concerto49

Verified Provider
Isn't 13 the multi platform one with Lightening?

Maybe they scrapped the project or it's being released on the PS3/PS4?

Francisco

No. That's 13. 13 is out. There's 13 2 and also coming soon 13 3 lighting returns.

This is ff13vs that was meant to be out when 13 was out but got delayed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Supicioso

I'll be getting the PS4 personally. I've always held a strong dislike for MS and the amass of fan boys that apparently come with it. From the looks of things, I won't be reading/hearing anymore noise about how the PSN is inferior due to it being free, since they're charging $5 for it next Gen. Which is fine by me. $5 is perfectly ok. I still don't like the idea of having to pay to play a game online when I already paid for it, but it's a fair trade compared to what MS has done, and is going to do.

Sony has always been the kind of company to give you more then what you pay for. I.E free games when you buy PS Plus. Microsoft has always been the polar opposite, and that's why I've always held a strong dislike for them. I understand they need to make money, but throwing fees at your customer left and right simply because you can is just lame. MS is also giving 2 free games each month to xbox one gold subscribers. Seems like they're taking a hint from the Sony handbook. It's a good step forward, but as you know. They just had to take 2 steps back with that DRM crap they're forcing on customers, and no used games? Retarded. It will completely destroy their sales.

Sorry about the rant. heh.

blergh

Verified Provider
I have owned just about every common console but ended up not really using them, something that to me speaks volumes about how the "PC-gaming is dead"-statements they have issued. Console-gaming nowdays is kinda like getting an iPhone, you are paying to get ripped off and slapped with an almost unusable, locked down product.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@JaredT90 The free xbox games is only for the months leading up to the XBONE. :p

Francisco

wdq

Quade
I really haven't decided which console I will be going with. I plan on waiting until after the holidays to see all of the different reviews that have been posted, and maybe even after I have a chance to test out both of them with some friends. 

Last generation I opted for the PS3 because I didn't really want to pay for an online service because I game pretty casually. I also found myself moving over to the PC late last generation when the PSN went down for a month. I had been a PC gamer before I purchased the PS2 and really enjoyed it so I thought that I would return. 

A ton of people have been saying that they plan on going with the PS4 which is kind of surprising. I was expecting this next generation to be a very close competition like the last generation was. There is a lot of unknown about both consoles still so things could potentially change going into this holiday season. 

I like how the Xbox One is sort of a media center as well. It would be nice to have a media center and gaming console in one device. However I would need it to do a lot of things that might not be possible. Like streaming video from a network share, or watching flash video in a web browser. 

I like how the PS4 is cheaper, and smaller. Although who knows, maybe the PS4 will be like the Xbox 360 and have a huge power power brick making it just as big as the Xbox One. Also the pricing of the consoles is going to fluctuate so in a year or two they might cost the same amount. 

So I'm planning to keep on using my PC and PS3 for my gaming until I see a need to upgrade to a next gen console, or upgrade my PC, or both. I do like the fact that these next generation consoles are essentially computers. It will make the development of cross platform games much easier. There should be fewer crappy PC ports of console games. 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Be sure to look into the 'call home' features that the XBONE has.

- required 'once every 24 hours' call home (which means a required internet connection). If this doesn't happen you

can't play any games.

- you can't loan out games to friends since games are license bound to your account

- selling games can only happen with a certified dealer (read: gamestop) that has the setup required to move a license

- once a game is bought used you can't sell it again

- The Kinect bar must be online at all times

There's a lot of tinfoilers that believe the kinect bar is going to be used for spying on people.

Francisco

wdq

Quade
A lot of those DRM type things are already in place on Steam on the PC. In order to even start Steam you need an Internet connection. No used games at all, also no loaning games.

So Microsoft's DRM is nothing new to me.

JDiggity

Be sure to look into the 'call home' features that the XBONE has.

- required 'once every 24 hours' call home (which means a required internet connection). If this doesn't happen you

can't play any games.

- you can't loan out games to friends since games are license bound to your account

- selling games can only happen with a certified dealer (read: gamestop) that has the setup required to move a license

- once a game is bought used you can't sell it again

- The Kinect bar must be online at all times

There's a lot of tinfoilers that believe the kinect bar is going to be used for spying on people.

Francisco
Check again you can lend out digital games, upto 10 different games can be lent to 10 different people at once.  so you can lend games out.

Supicioso

@JaredT90 The free xbox games is only for the months leading up to the XBONE. :p

Francisco
Hahah, makes sense. Giving things out for free isn't in Microsoft's character.

A lot of those DRM type things are already in place on Steam on the PC. In order to even start Steam you need an Internet connection. No used games at all, also no loaning games.

So Microsoft's DRM is nothing new to me.
Well of course, you need those things on PC. Otherwise no one would make any money because customers would just pass it around freely, install it and pass it on to someone else. You can't do that with a console game. You need the disc to play and you can't crack it like you can with PC discs.

Chronic

If I were to buy a console, I'd go for the PS4 simply because of the recent devolution of the Xbox. Then again, when I do play games, I do it on my computer - and I don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

JDiggity

I will buy the xbox one.  I don't like sony products for the most part.  I prefer to pay for live as the network is much better.  I am looking more media center any way, with the ability to play games.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
I think my PC wins ;)

Well, maybe just maybe I'll get a PS4. I do like the idea of getting a Vita too for, you know, on the go play.

amuck-landowner